Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Trusted Contributor
SGoodman
My Device: Z10; LTE PlayBook
My Carrier: Telus Mobility

BlackBerry 10

I saw that the BlackBerry 10 operating system is in alpha. Did I miss version 8 and 9? I thought version 7 was the current version.

Thanks,

Shane.

Z10 (version 10.2.1.2977)
LTE Playbook (version 2.1.0.1917)
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
Esperoni
My Device: Z10, 9900
My Carrier: Robbers

Re: BlackBerry 10

7.X is the current version. BB10 will be the new qnx-based OS for the PlayBook and new devices which should be out by the end of the year.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
SGoodman
My Device: Z10; LTE PlayBook
My Carrier: Telus Mobility

So they're skipping over versions 8 and 9?

What is the current version based on? Java? What is qnx?

Shane.

Z10 (version 10.2.1.2977)
LTE Playbook (version 2.1.0.1917)
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
Esperoni
My Device: Z10, 9900
My Carrier: Robbers

QNX is an RTOS (Real Time Operating System) and is currently in use all over the world (Integrated Car Systems, Home Monitoring, Nuclear Plants, etc...)

More information can be found here www.qnx.com

I don't think RIM will be introducing OS 8 and 9 on the BlackBerry lineup. BB10 was originally going to be called BBX. BB10 will be RIM's new OS that will begin on their first handset (Later on this year), and continue on to the tablet (PlayBook).

As always, they will continue to support all their devices. You can also check out some of the videos on http://crackberry.com/ which shows some of the teasers from BBWorld.
Please use plain text.
Developer
cas118
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK

Just a little snippit to add to that post.

Because the new OS isn't Java-based an is essentially brand-new, BlackBerry apps on existing BlackBerry handsets will not be compatible. At all.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if BlackBerry 10 lasts longer than usual, much like Apple's OS X (which is essential 10 as well).

Everything changes with BlackBerry 10 - this isn't your grandpa's BlackBerry - this is all new baby :smileyhappy:

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
aandras
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

We are actually previewing bb10 with the pb.
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,825
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

There will very likely never me any OS 8 & 9. BlackBerry10 will be the light speed jump ahead of those java based operating systems.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Zildjian71
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800 x 2, PlayBook 16g & 64g, Bridged with RROYY.com
My Carrier: ATT

When Microsoft abandoned MS-DOS and the FAT file system they left a ton of devs and apps behind as well. If you wanted to keep up with MS you had to adopt the new platform (actually NT on steriods)

When Apple went to OS X the same thing...new platform and new file system...essentially UNIX with a sexy UI.

RIM is taking a very risky yet potentially massively profitable change with a lot more in the way of momentum by choosing QNX.

This change has the potential to redefine computing, desktop and mobile, as we know it.

Of everything that is happening in the tech world today IMO I think this is the most forward thinking with the most long term consequences.

This is beyond IP v6 this is potentially the most massivelly connected platform to ever reach our hands.