Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Trusted Contributor
londonpride
My Device: Blackberry 9900
My Carrier: orange
Accepted Solution

BlackBerry PlayBook and Wifi

Good Afternoon,

I wonder if anyone can assist me in my plight?

For some reason my Wifi connection is no longer saved in my playbook,  thus everytime I turn it off and on again I have to re enter the serial number. I have checked the settings etc with my wife's playbook and they appear to be the same. The only difference is my wife's retain the serial number whereby mine doesn't!

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you.

Regards.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,923
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: BlackBerry PlayBook and Wifi

You have to enter what serial number?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

I think he means the security key or pass phrase depending on which security mode he's using on the router.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
londonpride

Sorry, probably didn't make it too clear, to connect to my home router or any other router a serial number, pin number or what else it may be called is required. I put in the number but as soon as the device is turn off and back on it deletes the number so I have to keep replacing it, thus not saved.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Try entering the PIN, and then instead of turning the PlayBook off, just do a restart.

Touch the battery icon > restart.

Now, on being powered back up, and connecting to WIfi, is the serial number required?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

[ Edited ]

Here are the steps to edit and configure the Wi-First settings on the PlayBook. Forgive me if you already know this and have done this already. 

1. Touch the gear icon in the top right corner of the main PlayBook interface to access its settings.
  2. Touch Wi-Fi
  3. Make sure Wi-Fi is turned on
  4. Under select a network choose saved networks from the dropdown menu
  5. Tap on your network SSID name in the list
  6. You will get a laundry list of information to fill out. This is where you put your password. If you need detailed information on these settings I will attach a screenshot of my PlayBook settings.
  7. Ensure you save the profile 

If this doesn't work then we have a bigger problem and I don't know the solution at that point.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
londonpride

JSanders wrote:

Try entering the PIN, and then instead of turning the PlayBook off, just do a restart.

Now, on being powered back up, and connecting to WIfi, is the serial number required?

JSanders wrote:

Thank you for your replies, I have tried the stated suggestions including restart instead of shutting down but sadly it just removes the required pin. In addition when I checked my saved networks I see these likewise have all been removed. It should be noted that today a 1mb O.S. update came through and I wonder if this may have been connected?

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine

[ Edited ]

One last thing to try is deleting the wireless profile you setup to access the network totally and then setting up a new one. If the new profile doesn't save the password, then I'd nuke...

My solution for this is extreme and perhaps not the correct answer but this is how I handle bugs like this but I'd nuke the installed OS and reinstall it from scratch. If you're within the free 90 day technical support window on the PlayBook then call them to get advice on how to do this and perhaps they can even tell you a much easier fix. If you research this topic via search engine (Google/Bing/etc) or even YouTube you will come up with lots of information and resources. It's an advanced kind of topic though and is time consuming. But you can then be sure things are fresh and bug free once complete. 

Mind you, there are strong rumors that an update to OS 2.1 will happen within the next few days during the Blackberry Jam convention going on (it starts tomorrow) so it might be worthwhile to hang tight for a day or two and see if the update comes and resolves your issue.

Regardless, do you have the desktop computer software installed? If yes, if I were you I'd do a backup of all your files, contacts and make notes of any apps and their settings (the backup software does not take into account settings you set) and then decide on what you think is the best path forward. If I owned your PlayBook, I'd nuke and reinstall if the upcoming update doesn't resolve the issue but I am the techie type...

A moderator will be able to give you the contact information to tech support.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

chaosdivine wrote:

One last thing to try is deleting the wireless profile you setup to access the network totally and then setting up a new one. If the new profile doesn't save the password, then I'd nuke...

That ^^ is what I'd try first.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
londonpride

Thank you for your input. I have since contacted BB technical services who have come up with a possible solution that I am currently trying. When completed I will update this thread.(I am still under the 90 day free cover.)
Thank you.
Please use plain text.