Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
oldron
My Device: Curve 9360
My Carrier: Bell
Accepted Solution

Blackberry Bridge not showing text messages on Playbook

With the new Bridge I am not receiving text messages on my Playbook. This is probably something obvious but I just can't see it. Perhaps this function is just not available?

I think I am missing something very obvious but can't see it. Am I correct in thinking that I should now be able to get normal everyday texts simultaneously on both devices, as I do BBM messages? I do not have a data plan on my phone and there is no email setup on my phone. Text messages on my phone work fine. I have disconnected and reconnected the Bridge. I have shut down Bluetooth and reconnected. I have restarted both devices.

On Phone:
Blackberry Bridge 2.1.0.26
Blackberry Messenger 6.2.0.50 (works fine)
Blackberry OS 7.1.0

Playbook OS 2.1.0.1032

When I open the Bridge icon on the PB, I have Messages, Contacts, Calendar. BBM, MemoPad and Tasks icons.

Device Properties on the phone show check marks beside:BBM, Calendar, Default, Contacts, Default, MemoPad, Messages and Tasks

Thanks in advance.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jamead1981
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: EE (Orange)

Re: Blackberry Bridge not showing text messages on Playbook

Have you restarted your phone since you upgraded the Bridge application? 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
oldron

My post clearly indicates I have restarted both devices. I have just done it again and there is no change.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
oldron

I just installed the updated bridge yesterday and restarted the phone. I have deleted the Bluetooth and reconnected it, dropped the Bridge twice and reconnected. I also unchecked Messages in the bridge on the phone. and the Message icon disappeared in the Playbook and reappeared when I rechecked it on the phone. When I touch Messages on the PB, I get an error saying I have no email addresses setup on my phone. As I said before, I don't have data on my phone and do not use it for email.

Am I on the wrong track completely or should I really be getting text messages on the PB now?

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jamead1981

Apologises, I missed the mention of a restart. 

Under device properties on the handset, do you have the option for Text Messages? 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
oldron

Device Properties on the phone show check marks beside:BBM, Calendar, Default, Contacts, Default, MemoPad, Messages and Tasks, as indicated in my first post.

BBM works fine on phone and PB. Text messages work fine on just phone, not PB.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jamead1981

On the phone, do you have the option to place a tick next to Text Messages in the Bridge app - note, Text Messages are seperate from Messages. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
oldron

[ Edited ]

Thanks again. There is NO Text Messages entry to check in the Bridge on the phone.

I have had the feeling all along that I am either doing something wrong or responders are not reading correctly.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Messages on the Bridge refer to emails.

I am not new to IT but very new to smart phones and the support just doesn't seem to be at the same level. (No insult intended)

Thanks

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
oldron

Thanks to all responders. I turned off Bluetooth on both units, restarted both units (phone turned off for a few minutes and back on). Re established Bluetooth, deleted the Bridge connection. It then prompted me to download the Blackberry Bridge by scanning the code on the PB page. I did that, it did not download but prompted me to restart the phone, which I did (hard restart). I now have the "Text messages" icon in the Bridge section of the Playbook. I think the issue was that I was not doing a hard restart on the phone because it isn't clear how this is accomplished. Thanks so much. The PB is now even better. Now when can we make calls with it? Only kidding.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jamead1981

To do a hard restart on the phone you just remove the battery, wait 30 seconds and put it back in
Please use plain text.