Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
billgentles
My Device: 9700 OS 6.0

Re: Blackberry Desktop does not see Playbook when connected USB

Just want to add some more detail to my post on this topic (4-25-2011, 0256PM).

This is how I get it to work in Windows XP. (Changing USB cable makes no difference).

PB is turned on. Go to Settings menu. "Storage and sharing" submenu.

Set "USB connections to "Connect to Windows".

Set "File Sharing " to "On".

Set "Password protect " to "On". ( I have previously activated password protection on the PB)

Connect the PB to the computer with the USB cable. Start BB desktop. . Ignore the popup messages that it fails to connect. They eventually go away.

With BB Desktop running, reset the PB as follows: Use the "soft" power off button at the bottom of the "all" applications list. Two buttons will pop up on the PB screen. Choose "Restart". Wait a long time. (3 - 5 minutes). Then it connects and asks for the password. There will be a message in the bottom Right corner of the Desktop window: "Sync All"

At this point I also see the PB as Drive Z when I click on "My computer" on the desktop.

Running WinXP, 32 bit, PB 16GB, Software 1.0.1.1710 BB Desktop version 6.0.2.42

Please use plain text.
Contributor
cj56
My Device: torch and Playbook

Just tried billgentles very detailed explanation (Thanks) and now the playbook appears in My Computer as Z drive. The BB Desktop still does not work however.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
cj56

This gets more strange. Tried to connect to PB and access it via the Z drive but now it is no longer showing up despite following the instructions by billgentles. It was before.

Tech support responded by suggesting installing the USB drivers from their site  https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=A8BAA56554F96369AB93E4F3BB068C22&CPID=OTC...

Did this also but still same problem.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Haaken
My Device: Playbook

A workaround is to turn off WiFi on the Playbook before trying to connect via USB.   Once you're connected and after any backups and syncs are performed I think you can turn WiFi on the Playbook back on. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ljqin12
My Device: bb 8900

I took my PB back to the store. I love everything else about the PB. So I'll wait unitl they get all the bugs out and get another one.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
cj56

[ Edited ]

I am considering returning it as well.  Tech support has no answers - so far..

However billgentles post of 4/28 did help.  The first time I followed his detailed instructions I was able to see the playbook in My Computer.  The next time it was no longer there but then I tried to see if I could map it to a drive. It did show up on my network even though it was not in My Computer. So I mapped it and can now transfer files as needed.  At least now I can consistently access it through my computer.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Jpeplow
My Device: Bold 9900 + 64 GB Playbook

It's frustrating that they haven't been able to fix this yet.  I was very hopeful that the DM update yesterday would solve this issue, but it didn't.  I am still in the same boat as before, where I can eventually get it to connect to my laptop, but only by restarting the PB every time.  And it simply will not be recognized by my PC.  The problem definitely seems to be with the drivers, as in Device Manager it shows up as a network connection, but with a yellow exclamation mark, and under properties it says "Device cannot start".  Over wifi I have had no issues, as I was able to map it as a network drive on both computers, so I am able to tranfer files that way. 

They really need to fix this issue (I already had a wonderful conversation with my definitely less tech savvy father - try explaining how to map a network drive to someone who doesn't even understand how to hook up a printer!)

Please use plain text.
Contributor
gandre
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8900 Bridged to the Playbook 32GB

I agree but, when I can connect my PB to DM and when I run the backup option separately for each item (settings, media) it backs those up successfully, but it always errors out when the applications are being backed up normally around the last few MB. This should give RIM software developers an idea where to look to debug this issue.
If my response helps you correct any issue that you're having, award me a KUDO by pressing the Star below. Then press Accept As Solution.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
billgentles
My Device: 9700 OS 6.0

Tried turning off WiFi. It works for me! Thanks!

Connection is much faster than reported in my previous post of 4-28-2011 on this topic. No need to restart PB. Also, a window comes up right away showing PB as Z drive.

Running WinXP, 32 bit, PB 16GB, PB Software 1.0.1.1710, BB Desktop version 6.0.2.44

Please use plain text.
Contributor
cj56

This work for me !!! I turned off the wifi and bluetooth and then plugged in the USB and everything went smoothly.

Thanks. I was just about to send it back.
Please use plain text.