Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
k009dog
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: shaw

Re: Blackberry Desktop does not see Playbook when connected USB

Control Panel
Device Manager
Network adapters
<<double click>> Research In Motion
<<select driver>> No driver installed
Installed driver
>> Desktop Software now connects to PlayBook.
Note: for some reason the backup folder was empty so have lost all data & settings - so be careful to back up.
Thank you for the above procedure

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
k009dog
My Carrier: shaw

In reply to:

Support resolved my case! I hope it helps to the others, too:

" In Device Manager, under Universal Serial Bus Controllers, you should have a few USB Root Hubs available.  For each of these, right click, select Properties, and then select the Power Management tab.  Make sure the "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" check box is clear (no checkmark) and save that setting.  Do this for each of the USB Root Hubs in the list.

Next, please ensure User Account Control settings are not preventing the device from being recognized.  You can find the instructions in this Microsoft Knowledge Base article: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Turn-User-Account-Control-on-or-off

I would recommend again completely uninstalling BlackBerry Desktop Software and BlackBerry Device Manager from the computer.  Please reboot the computer after the above has been checked or modified.  

Then, under Microsoft Device Manager when you have plugged the BlackBerry PlayBook in, right click on the "RIM Network Device" and select uninstall.  This will uninstall the USB drivers.  You can then reinstall them by plugging the BlackBerry PlayBook in to the computer, as the drivers are saved on the BlackBerry PlayBook.  If there is problem installing the drivers, follow these steps:

To share files between a Windows based PC and the BlackBerry PlayBook, BlackBerry® Device Manager will need to be installed. Complete the following steps to install BlackBerry Device Manager:

1. Connect the BlackBerry PlayBook to the computer via USB cable.
  2. If BlackBerry Device Manager is not yet installed, the BlackBerry PlayBook will display a screen entitled Installing Drivers.
  3. On the computer, double click the BlackBerry PlayBook CD drive icon.
  4. Open the Drivers folder.
  5. Double click Setup.exe.
  6. After selecting the appropriate region and accepting the License Agreement select Install.
  7. Select Finish and then OK to the prompt confirming that the PlayBook will need to be disconnected and then reconnected prior to use.
  8. Once reconnected to the computer, the BlackBerry PlayBook will be mounted as a Network Drive labelled PlayBook [PIN: 500AAAAA]. 
  9. Double click the network drive icon to access the PlayBook folders.

I would recommend then installing the current release of BlackBerry Desktop Software again."

I did all this, Desktop Manager 7 was installed, then I Installed Desktop Software 6.1.0, disconnected-reconnected, it reinstalled DM7 ("repair" option), and after restarting DS everything works. Playbook also shows as a network drive, and Device manager listst it under Network Adapters. Thanks, RIM support!

The following procedure solved the issue:

Control Panel
Device Manager
Network adapters
<<double click>> Research In Motion
<<select driver>> No driver installed
Installed driver
>> Desktop Software now connects to PlayBook.
Note: for some reason the backup folder was empty so have lost all data & settings - so be careful to back up.
Thank you for the procedure

Please use plain text.
PjL
Contributor
PjL
My Device: Z10 and Playbook

At last, an obvious reason why it didn't work!  Are you using XP?  If so, read on.

I had a bit of an epiphany today when buying a new keyboard... Why had my old keyboard stopped working?  It seemed to work on other PC's.  Hmmm, USB problems.  Was this the root cause of a number of problems?

Well, yes, it was.  Although most USB devices worked, some just refused to work.  No reasons or error messages, some USB devices just stopped working/installing.  After about 4 hours, I discovered that I was missing a file USB.INF in c:Windows\inf .  I found a compressed copy on an SP3 disk, used EXPAND from a command prompt and copied into c:Windows\inf, I also copied it into c:Windows\system32\drivers and c:\windows\driver cache for good measure. Now all is well and I can see my Playbook.

If you have the same problem, look for a file called USB.IN_

Copy it to the root of the C:

Create a directory called TEMP on the c:

Go into the command prompt and type EXPAND USB.IN_ C:\windows\inf

Now copy USB.INF to the other directories I mentioned above and all should be well for you too.  I am unsure how this file was deleted, maybe some duff installation program somewhere, who knows, but this seems to be the root cause on my PC.  Hope this helps.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
soso2565
My Carrier: none

I still have no success with all of the above. The BDM can recognize my Playbook's PIN but it still shows the pop-up that 

"Blackberry Destop Software cannot communicate with the connected device" - "If the device is rebooting or has a dead battery...."

I'm running OS 1.0.8 on my Playbook. Windows 7  (x64)

I'm on Windows 7 64bits but I think it is the same story on other Windows versions.

go to

Network Connexions look for The new Network adapter is called "Research In Motion "

mine was not activate

so right click and select activate and try reconnect device on DBM

If you go to Right-Click on this network connexion and select Properties, you will see 3 connexion items: 

- Client for Microsoft Networks

- File and Printer Sharing

- Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

Be sure the 3 box are ticked ( check mark ) everything started working like by magic (Desktop manager etc....)

Please use plain text.
bytedr
My Device: Blackberry 9700 / Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Bell

I Had the same problem after I did a security wipe on my playbook. When it was connected to the PC the unit would not connect to the Desktop Manager. After some investigation I found the RIM network driver wasn't being loaded in Windows Device Manager.

After I rolled the current driver back to an earlier on everything worked properly.

To get to the device manager you can use the windows control panel or right click on the computer icon and select properties the device manager.

The item you are looking for is located under the network adapter heading where you will find the RIM network device.

Open it up and select the driver tab then the Roll back option. Follow instructions on screen.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
JCDammer
My Device: Playbook 64Gb
My Carrier: Vodafone

I've sussed it for mine, the Blackberry drivers save to the system but the software installer loads the wrong one!!

Go to Computer Management
Open Network Devices
You will see your playbook with a yellow triangle probably named playbook or similar. I cannot recall the exact name
Select update driver - do NOT use auto update, next when it says either browse to a location or below that select drivers myself - choose to select the driver yourself.
This will pop up a window which shows two drivers one the same name as the one installed with the yellow triangle and the other called "Research in Motion Network Device" select this one.
It should install that driver and then your playbook will connect to your PC with no problem at all. My system runs Windows 8 X64 but I would imagine the software installer is putting the wrong driver in regardless of what OS you're using. This has worked on all 4 of my computers none of which were originally connecting to the playbook.

Best luck
Craig
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Bob1234
My Device: Playbook 64, with current software
My Carrier: Not Applicable

Mine didn't work, tried every trick. Completely erased all BlackBerry software from the PC, reinstalled the multilauguage version ( 710_b039_multilanguage.exe ) available at: https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=A8BAA56554F96369AB93E4F3BB068C22

Now works fine.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
delpart
My Carrier: Bell Aliant

so after not much help from RIM support, i figured if my windows 7 64 bit machine was missing drivers, i would try, after trying everything else on all the forums i could find, reinstalling SP1 for Windows 7.

Turned out to be a bit more compliccated but not bad. Had to uninstall SP1, reboot and then download SP1 and reinstall it. I hit the reinstall button last night and then went to bed. I just checked and looks like SP1 install completed and then rebooted my machine and bazinga, the Blackberry Desktop Software recognizes my playbook and i can sync my media with it.

Hope that helps someone out there!

Del

Please use plain text.
misskimberlyjoy
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Cityfone

It just worked for me. How did you find this out?!?!?
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
delpart
My Carrier: Bell Aliant

trial and error really. Treid everything else...and I was missing the drivers for the rim network device so figured if it should be there I should be able to get it in SP1. Gave it a try and had some luck.

Glad to hear it worked for you.

Peter

Please use plain text.