Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
rijaesalang
My Device: Playbook

Re: Blackberry Desktop does not see Playbook when connected USB

The only way you can connect is you have to turn off WIFI on your playbook.
New Contributor
drewm65

[ Edited ]

Hmmn, well I have WIFI on right now and its connected through WIFI AND USB

Which it should no?

I have a drive 'Z' that gives ne acess to my playbook files like a usb drive and under network devices I have a 'Playbook-DA9C' that asks for my user name and password and when supplied I have acess too..giving me the wireless acess points of 'media' and 'certs'

New Contributor
drewm65

And yup, just verified it..unplugged the playbook and the 'Z' drive dissapears while the 'Playbook-DA9C' takes a minute to refresh but is still active...

sweet I have it sitting beside me on the couch and can transfer files to it.. nice.

PjL
Contributor
PjL
My Device: Z10 and Playbook

Yet another reason to see RIM flushed down the toilet.  Just "upgraded" BB Desktop and Playbook driver will no longer install.  It seems to have overwritten the working driver and I cannot find a copy to reinstall.

Frankly, if RIM can't supply tested software that works rather than taking us back to the "Plug and Pray" days they deserve to go bust.  Don't get me wrong, I have a BB phone and think that they are great, but if the software keeps "improving" at the rate it has been over the last year, by 2013 I'll be lucky if SMS is working.

RIM, your basic products work well.  You focussed on useability, which is a USP in the current market.  Just compare basic tasks on a BB against Android.  Why is it that companies that have the ability to provide us with useable systems die (Palm being a notable example).  It seems the public want **bleep** software that doesn't install or work so that's what we get, is that it?  Just stop issuing software so your version number is higher than someone else's.  If you had a reputation for simple software that worked, surely more people would move to your product. 

I despair and am giving up.  I have just seen an android tablet for £99.

New Contributor
drewm65

I had the same trouble..

Can't remember exactly what I did, but I feel your frustration

I know I deleted some stuff in device manager..

There was a RIm network device I think I deleted and I think even the usb  'comsumer control device'

Doesn't harm the computer doing this..

I feel too it is a driver issue and should be easily remidied by uninstaling and reinstalling the driver

But the driver is on the Playbook itself apparently and autoloads when you first hook up the device..odd setup especially if theres issues with differnt systems, different Playbooks, whatever

I tried in vain to find a new driver at this site..should be easily available

My trouble started when I went from a 32 gig to a 64..when I plugged it in it didn't recognize the unit!

If you still have the Playbook try what I mentioned..worked here

and with the update It actually seems to work better now..I have wifi access through my home network as well as usb

had trouble with wifi before and assumed it was a windows problem

Happy with mine now..sorry your having trouble, your right it shouldn't be this hard

Oh and I remeber reading somewhere you have to tell Blackberry Desktop to 'forget' an old device..theres an option for that on the file menu..I'm assuming that applies if you upgrade possibly

Mines listed as RIM device 3 lol since I've had three of them

Still happy with mine, love it

Good luck

New Contributor
Gslimboy
My Device: Playbook 64g

Spent 5 hrs with Tech support today. Final result, they know that they have a problem with the new software. They will be sending out a fix in the next 24-48 hrs.  Stay tuned. In my case, after 5 hrs of trying evrything that they could, they finally made me wipe my PB clean and start from scratch but still no luck. Lost all my apps, data, files etc. I am p****d off but the least I could do to try and get to a solution.

I am starting to have 2nd thoughts about buying the BB pb 

New Contributor
drewm65

Wow, that sucks..and I feel for ya, I was feeling pretty frustrated here too, especially when I could hook up fine with one computer but not my main one..so you pretty much gotta figure its a driver issue.

What OS are you running?

I just recieved the new OTA 2.01358 update and did a hard reset like was recommende elsewhere, then after rebooting my desktop manager didn't notice my playbook again!

Was a little worried but after running the setup off the virtual cdrom the playbook makes after reinstall it seems to have reinstaled new drivers and the new version of Desktop Software 7 and alls well.

Playbook is found via usb drive Z and through my wifi network as a network device as well.

Was really happy that it went so smoothly..maybe you need the new up date..

New Contributor
pauliusk
My Device: Playbook OS 2.0.1

My problem is that after the frickin' update that made many good things otherwise my Win 7 32 registers Playbook (RIM Network Device) under "other devices". Tried it all, on-off, install-uninstall, to different laptops with different Win 7 (enterprise and ultimate), USB drivers, no USB drivers. I have tried it ALL. The playbook does not connect after 2.0.1.368 OS update. Love the device, but already initiated iPad 3 purchase at the office for comparison. Should there is no solution soon, I will have to admit to my IT people that they were right suggesting that I get an iPad in the first place. A 1000+ people office (and that is only in Africa!), all managers have BB phones, so I thought pushing the playbook as a standard tablet equipment. Now I see whay the IT guys do not want to support it... I am very happy, excellent piece of hardware, right form factor for me, but heck...

New Contributor
drewm65

Just double checking..though it does sound like you know what your doing and HAVE tried everything

My Playbook device wasnt automatically recognized at first either after the newest OTA update

But it did initialize as a virtual 'cdrom' device in explorer wher I browsed into the driver folder and ran the setup.exe that was there

I know this should just automatically run but in my cae this worked

It installs the new drivers as well as the new Desktop 7 Software.. you have to let it sit and do its thing..it initializes and uninitializes a couple of times..I think because its deleting old driver/ Desktop software and installing new

I just let it do its thing, making sure Desktop Software is closed too..the new version won't install if it isn't closed, think a dialog box popped up asking to close it I did and rebooted my computer, unplugged the Playbook and after shutting down and restarting the playbook, then conecting..all is fine.

If that doesn't work you must have corrupted driver files on your playbook or computer.

Good Luck!

New Contributor
pauliusk
My Device: Playbook OS 2.0.1

Many thanks for the effort... If only any of the two systems would recognize my Playbook as a virtual cd rom, or allow me to connect over the network... Just why these files that you have mentioned ("setup.exe" and whatever it needs to run) would not be available for download - I have various file managers/browsers on the  Playbook, but they won't let me see the /drivers directory. A Catch 22, which will hopefully be resolved once DM7 is finally available on RIM's website to download..