Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

Blackberry Link problems with Playbook 2.1

BB link is offered as being able to manage Playbook ith 2.1. If we ever get BB10 we will need to use BB Link so I thought I would get used to it.

Having tried v 1.0 of BB Link (for Mac) and had problems with looping my Macbook CPU (>200 deg F) on sync operation I was glad to receive V 1.0.1 which seems much more stable and seems to sync in either direction reasonably well. The workflow id completely different as is setting up sync, backup, etc. It did need all photos to be deleted before a new sync on BB Link, but it also seems to suffer from the same duplications as the old link. One problem not solved.

It also has a different method of reloading the OS. The Reset to Factory option simply initiates a wifi "security wipe". You need to go to the Reload Software to get to a USB based OS change which I was unable to test. Plugging in a switched-off Playbook did not offer the usual Retry/Repair type operation as far as I could see.

However the point of the thread is to point out that I was "offered" an update of 2.1.0.1008 which seemed unusual as I am running .1526. However it was only a few MBytes so rather than be nagged every time,  I accepted.

That caused serious problems sending emails, the old square red clock and red X problem.

Having two Playbooks is very useful in analysing problems, and indeed the self same problem was repeatable on my other Playbook so I am as confident as I can that the spurious 1008 "update" was to blame. In any case, offering it cannot be correct from a software configuration management point of view.

Remedy for both, Debrick using good old BB Desktop and despite some suggestions (by me too)  to try BB Link as an alternative to BB Desktop when conection problems occur, my advice is don't go near BB Link until the next version at the earliest or until we get BB10.  Second bit of advice, don't throw away BB desktop, you may need it to debrick in future.

If someone tries the Windoze version 1.0.1 on Playbook 2.1 without problems, I would be interested to hear. 

Re: Blackberry Link problems with Playbook 2.1

Having had a hot to the touch Macbook, also using too much battery, I finally noticed some Blackberry Link Helper App taking up CPU.  Funny because I uninstalled Blackberry Link already!

It was a devil to get rid of. Couldn't find it in the normal Apps directory. Used Activity Manager to locate it. Had to force quit and trash the whole Blackberry folder

I deleted everything labelled Blackberry including all folders, backups and apps. Never want to install Blackberry-Anything on my Mac again.   I'll use Wifi until the Playbooks die.  

Trashware. 

activity.jpg

Tried new version 1.1.  Same problem, will not do anything backupwise til I accept the "update" - ndver again as I know there is no update at the moment and it is likely to be the corruot 1008 again.

Careless crudware.

Update: Now new version 1.1.1.13 for Mac out today. The bogus update request seems to have been removed. Did backup and restore with no problems. 

My Device: Playbook & Q10

Just downloaded 1.1.1.26 for Windows 7 64 bit, still get message that it can connect to Playbook and it recommends reloading the devic software, but when I tried that last time it didn't do anything. Is it just me or is BB software now focued on flashy screens rather than efficient stuff that just works. Hope they get it sorted i signed up for 2 years with a Q10 on the strength of the Playbook, but everything just feels a bit disjointed like you're trying to use products from 2 different companies.

Forums Veteran I
jarviser

No they are not doing very well.

I was hoping they had fixed the ghost upate but after getting very excited about how well the sync and backup/restore wa doing on link (Mac version) I get another update invitation.

Now maybe  it's BB10 (!) , but I betcha is just another bogus update like before. Not touching it.

bblink.jpg