Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
Brent50
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
Accepted Solution

Blackberry Playbook Camera Error.4003 Picture

After the most recent OS update for the Playbook the camera in the playbook has ceased to work.

When I open the camera app I only have a black screen but am able to take screen shot photos only. For a little while  I was able to get a the back camera working temporarily.

The error I receive when trying to take a picture with the camea is "Error.4003 Picture"

I do have the advanced camera app the Blackberry World installed and I have uninstalled that to see if it makes a difference and it hasn't.

The Playbook was purchased in August of 2012 in Canada where I live so it is out of warranty.

Near as I can tell there are no phone numbers for Blackberry to resolve this or direct support from them for the Playbook anymore.

I think this is probably a software issue caused by the latest operating system update.

From what I understand you can reinstall an older update to cancel the present one on the tablet.

From what I understand by reading on the internet others have had this problem and that doing a security wipe and complete reinstall has not helped.

I also understand Blackberry plans no more OS updates or changes so what are you supposed to do if their last update has created problems they don't plan on fixing?

Also does anyone know what other problems have occured with the latest OS update.

Does anyone have any suggestion on what to do at this point? If it is a hardware problem it does not make sense to purchase a new camera and install it in the Playbook.

Thanks

Brent

Herer is the operating system information that I have on the tablet.

The model I am using is 16GB BB playbook that was purchased in August of 2011.

The current OS is 2.1.0.1917

Build ID 567403

Cyptongraphic Kernel Version   5.6.0.41945

WLAN Version    1.1

WI-FI

IPv6  fe80::ea3e:b6ff:fee1:5810

IPv4 172.16.1.63

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Re: Blackberry Playbook Camera Error.4003 Picture

It is a hardware problem requiring the camera module to be replaced. If it's out of warranty there's not much you can do other than replace it if you're handy.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=Digital+Camera+Side+Board+Fle...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
Brent50
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

Hi John,

Thanks for the information and the link to the replacement camera.

I have read online many people have had this problem and most seem to indicate that it is a hardware issue.

What I am trying to figure out is how a an OS update can then create a hardware issue where the camera must be repalced?

Wouldn't this be a software issue in the update the would need to be corrected by RIM who are no longer going to be providing support or OS updates if Iunderstand correctly?

Thanks again.

Brent

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

I don't know why or how it happens only that it does.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
kendricks
My Device: 9320

This is a software problem coz thr is no way people can be having the same problem just after an OS update ..... This is not good !
Guru I
John_Clark

Well, since a wipe and fresh reload of the Playbook OS doesn't usually solve the problem there isn't much else you can do. So, whatever it is, is not usually fixable by the end user.