Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
xproject6
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: none

Blackberry Playbook OS Size

Hi,

I would like to know if what size the os should take up on a 64gb playbook. I have played around with os 2 betas and decided to go back to 1.0.8 but last night i noticed that the os takes up about 18GB. Is that correct?

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
Wolf359
My Device: Z30 / Playbook

Re: Blackberry Playbook OS Size

Thats interesting.  I thought the Playbook's OS would be the same size because the Playbook hardware is the same with the exception of memory size (16, 32, 64GB)

This wouldn't be pratical for a 16 / 32gb Playbook.  This is my best guess because I don't have a Playbook yet!  I'm thinking that the OS would be less than 18GB, like a whole lot less!

My thoughts exactly

Please use plain text.
Developer
zezke
My Device: Z10 (red Limited Edition)
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

You should have a lot more free space, the tablet OS weighs only 500 - 700 MB I estimate.

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
rat-7
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64
My Carrier: Rogers

I thought that the OS was on a seperate part of the Playbook, like the phones

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
xproject6

I reinstalled blackberry desktop software, did a security wipe, after which my playbook downloaded an update that weighed in at about 80mb, I went to the Settings > About > Hardware to the following:

Total Storage: 59.4 GB

Free Storage: 54.8 GB

This sounds about right after the conversion from base 10 to base 2. Can anyone confirm the size of the OS from a clean playbook?

When it comes to the desktop software it shows much less available, I went through the device menus and found the following under Device > Device options > Media

Media on My Device

Keep this amount of space free:

5.8 GB

When I moved the slider to 3 GB the desktop software showed more space available, the grey bar at the bottom of the desktop software shrunk. It seems like I found out why I believed the OS was taking a huge amount of space, it was reserved space that can be configured from this menu.

I'm still curious as to the amount of space that the Playbook OS takes up, is 4.6gb about right? I have no media or games installed.

Thanks everyone!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
JustMeTLB
My Carrier: tracfone

[ Edited ]

The About-Hardware screen shows that 14.7GB is total storage (of a 16GB PB), hence latest OS is just about 1.3 GB - then there is also a free storage amount.

(interesting that there is an enthusiast "SUPER" contributor making suggestions that does not even have a PB)

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
Wolf359
My Device: Z30 / Playbook

It is interesting, thanks!