Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
numberbug
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: tesco

Blackberry Playbook and Google App Market

Can anyone tell when the Blackberry Playbook is going to able to access Google App Market at the Blackberry one is extremely poor and expensive. I do not know or want to know how to port apps etc etc as this is a silly thing. So just a date when I will be able to actually use the Playbook would be good. If this is not happening, anyone want to buy a playbook as i will buy something that is actually useful and works.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
gajariam
My Device: Torch 9860
My Carrier: Fido

Re: Blackberry Playbook and Google App Market

The Android Player on BB10 and PlayBook is going to be updated to 4.1 soon (they might have said it's coming out when the Q10 is coming out).

Perhaps it will work then

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
godot2011
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: DCI Telecom

numberbug wrote:

Can anyone tell when the Blackberry Playbook is going to able to access Google App Market at the Blackberry one is extremely poor and expensive. I do not know or want to know how to port apps etc etc as this is a silly thing. So just a date when I will be able to actually use the Playbook would be good. If this is not happening, anyone want to buy a playbook as i will buy something that is actually useful and works.

For starters there is much more to the PlayBook than missing Andriod apps. Second; the Android player of the PlayBook uses a different file format than the standard Android apps. Therefore there is not likely that there will ever be an option to just go to the Google Apps Market and download apps. Apps designed for the Android world need to be converted and signed to comply with the requirements of the PlayBook. There are a number of converted apps already on BlackBerry World, more will appear as time progresses and the PlayBook will get BB10 as promised. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
numberbug

Oh that is a shame, looks like another one for the rubbish bin then, will have to go and buy something that works. Still cant believe that Blackberry would invent something so bad, bit like inventing a new car that only ran on fule from one garage about 200 miles away, stupid lol

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
godot2011
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: DCI Telecom

Don't blame BlackBerry,  blame yourself.  You did not do a basic needs analysis and research. By now there is plenty of info about the Playbook. 

You bought something, why because it was cheap? Please don't keep us busy on this board. 

Please use plain text.
tiltmfc
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: n/a

I don't think in OS 10 we will see the Andriod Market on the Playbook, if Blackberry really wants to cut down on piracy they would put it on there. 

This dude doesn't really know what he is talking about.

Back before the BIG 2.0 update you could install the andriod market and it work ..sort of just look it up on YOUTUBE. 

will it ever happen agian. who knows I don't think hackers are interested in the playbook.  I would be happy if they got co pilot live on the playbook.  I just purchased my playbook like a week ago to install in my car as a stereo front, but from what i've seen this is a good little tablet just needs some more support. I feel that this would be a major contender if it only had been shipped with andriod market on it 

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
rossjackson01
My Device: Playbook 64gb (wifi)
My Carrier: orange UK

[ Edited ]

Hello numberbug and tiltmfc

Blackberry (BB) Playbook (PB)

Your comments are exactly as they should be, The comments of the trolls are not those of the general populous of this forum. Like you, many of us purchased the PB after a little research, Usually noting the price and believing what the salespeople told us, 'Yes, most certainly you can use skype and Google Play'.

As a result of 'forum knowledge', it becomes apparent that many of the Google apps cannot be used, unless you learn to sideload. In other words, adapt the system to be able to access some Google apps. Tried it but many of the apps did not work well.

Video chat is excellent, but we can only talk to other PB owners.

Co pilot:- Osmand is good. But no 3d or Postcodes for UK.

Many of the BB members berate us PB users as we do not have BB phone for Bridge. But using a normal phone on tethering achieves the same.

I believe, from forum members that BB10 may allow skye and possible some access to Google play. That may be correct. But no one really knows when we will have BB10.

This, and other PB forums are excellent. There are more defensive comments on this forum than others about how we should have done our homework.

On thing I have noticed is that the members overall are excellent and very knowledgeable. What is lacking is the contact by BB to any of the forums. Especially as they appear to be hosted by them.

Regards

Ross

Regards to all (except BB)
Please use plain text.
Contributor
omnivore-46460
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: n/a

I must admit i bought my playbook because of the price, taking in to account of the spec's (memory & on board storage capacity),  if i wanted an android tablet ...., i would have bought one, granted i have an android phone, i am more than happy with this tablet, i does what i want of it.

NOTHING ELSE NEEDS TO BE SAID.......!

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

there is over 40k apps coming soon from the port a thon, some are already there

there is a lot more coming too

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
numberbug

Hey you dont have to reply, no I am not a techy geek, i read about it, the reports were good, unfortunately too many techy geeks like to say things that make no sense just to seem clever. Am left wonder about you

Please use plain text.