Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: 16 GB Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: none

Blackberry Playbook touch Screen Not working

[ Edited ]

We purchased a Playbook and used it a few times. My wife read a book on it and I have played a few games. Went to use it after a few months and now the touchscreen will not work. It is pretty much useless without that function. It cannot even be shut off. We initially purchased a protective cover for the Playbook. It has not been dropped, banged, there are no scratches dings or otherwise on the protective cover or the tablet itself.  Is there some reset or something that might work with this issue. In reading the blogs it would appear this is a reoccurring problem with this product and we really do not beleive we should have to pay more to have the one warranty validated on this defective device.Thought it had a one year warranty but seems only 90 Days and then we have to pay more to have someone tell us if they will fix it under warranty or not. Anyone have any ideas before I toss it in the trash and go back to Apple products?

Solutions: 6,171
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Blackberry Playbook touch Screen Not working

Press the power button and the UP volume button for about 20 seconds and you should be given the RESTART option. See if you can restart the device that way.

Albert111301 wrote:

someone tell us if they will fix it under warranty or not. Anyone have any ideas before I toss it in the trash and go back to Apple products?

Oh, please, chill out and try being polite, ok? There's no need to throw out the "apple threat" here, we're users just like you, and quite frankly if you want an Apple product, no one is holding a gun to your head, are they?

>> Click here to get a 10% Off Discount on any BlackBerry from ShopBlackBerry

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Well if your gonna throw it in the trash throw it over to me. I take it.
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
New Contributor
My Device: 16 GB Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: none

Tried the 'restart' (power plus volume buttons) still no touch screen, Hooked up to computer, installed updated software, still no touch screen, reset Blackberry through computer, now cannot finish the reset as 'no touch screen capabilities', attempted numerous 'restarts' to no avail.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Contact support and get a RMA for repair or replacement.
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
Highlighted
Solutions: 6,171
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

You need to call the PlayBook support number, and talk to them.

I have read of numerous accounts of users who have been pleasantly surprised with positive responses and assistance (and sent new devices).

www.blackberry.com/playbook

>> Click here to get a 10% Off Discount on any BlackBerry from ShopBlackBerry

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

I am having the same problem with my playbook.  I just spend almost an hour on the phone with Blackberry support where he had me do a reboot of my device, which did not work, so he says it needs to be sent for repair.  I did tell him this at the start of the call, but he insisted we needed to go through these steps.

He then advised me that since my warranty expired three months ago, he cannot provide me the name of any place to send it in for service.  That they will only give me the names of Blackberry authorized repair shops when my warranty is still valid.  They only accept service for items under warranty - which makes no sense - especially if I am willing to pay for the repair. Yet, he would not provide me with any dealer who can fix it.

No wonder RIM has to continually lay off it's employees if that's the kind of service they offer. 

New Contributor
My Device: BB Playbook

Took my playbook into the bathroom when taking a shower.  Immediately afterwards the touch screen was unresponsive.  I assumed the electrons were enjoying the waters too.  To get them out of the pool and back on the job, I placed the playbook on a wooden cutting board, then slipped it into the oven heated to 50 C (120 F).  Several hours later, the screen showed a marked improvement.  I repeated the heat treatment over night and, miracles, it works like new!

PS

I have vowed not to use the playbook in the bath.

New Contributor
My Device: BB Playbook

The touch screen has seldom been this responsive.  The heat treatment worked.

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook

My screen is black but i can see its  lit but nothing on the screen was that the same problem u were experiencing? I don't want to put it in the oven, what about by a portable heater?