Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Solutions: 6,269
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Blackberry Playbook

mutumoja, soms when you follow my steps, staat what pointer do you fail to see my next step?

Alsof, staat your Settings > Software Update, what version is installed?

>> Get your 15% Discount on ShopBlackBerry on Passport • Classic • Leap

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

[ Edited ]

mutumoja wrote:

Thanks John I'm sure it is - somewhere.  There seem to be many different versions of the OS but none of the clips on YouTube show any way of altering that parameter.   I have seen sync interval with various time periods, on a YouTube clip but with a different OS. 

Seems to be part of 'advanced setup' but short of recreating my e mail account - which was not easy in the first place - there seems to be no way to edit what's there already.  Strangely enough I managed to put a check mark against an old email and it's still in the inbox, though how that happened I don't know, but perhaps that's the way to go.

Next problem is to get Bluetooth to work!  The tablet is paired with my PC but won't connect and I have downloaded Desktop Manager and can transfer data via USB but Bluetooth would be useful.

Anyway Happy New Year to the forum members

Cheers Derek

It's there, just as JSanders described: 

Touch the Settings gear in the top right corner. 

go to Accounts

Tap on the account in question

Athe bottom tap "Advanced Settings"

At the bottom you will see "Messages Sync Timeframe"

I just verified this and it works.

If you change that and it is still deleting mail then it lkely is a problem with Outlook just as Rat-7 describes. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Get 15% off a new BlackBerry device from ShopBlackberry! Use discount code vj7wgxj9w (Limited time only!!!)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

rat-7 wrote:

mutumoja wrote:

Hi forum members

I'm a newbie to this forum and have recently acquired my Playbook.  All updated to OS 2.10.1314 and mostly OK but cannot keep e mails longer than about 24hrs, even those unread. Seems to be an auto delete fuction. It's not the server as received e mails on my PC stay there until I delete. Is there a fix for this?

I had a problem similar with both my phone and the Playbook, and it was all because Outlook was downloading the messages and that is the same as deleting them from the server. 

To resolve this, all I did was to change the settings in Outlook so that it is now leaving a copy of the messages on the server, in my case it leaves them for 48 hours, after that they are only in Outlook and no longer available for the Playbook or the phone as they are not on the server any more. 

I hope this helps 

If the problem is not the Messages Sync Timeframe then this is very likely the problem and the solution.

Another solution to this particular problem is to setup Outlook using IMAP (if your email system supports it.) 

Get 15% off a new BlackBerry device from ShopBlackberry! Use discount code vj7wgxj9w (Limited time only!!!)
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

JSanders wrote:

mutumoja, soms when you follow my steps, staat what pointer do you fail to see my next step?

Alsof, staat your Settings > Software Update, what version is installed?

Dang! What was I drinking when I posted that?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Highlighted
Guru II

Blame it on age?

fat fingers on a cold cold morning!

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: tiscali

Thanks Martin.  Will try the change to Outlook though at the moment messages on Outlook stay there for ever, unless manually zapped.  However I don't know what has happened but the Playbook is now saving incoming e mails for at least 48hrs, maybe longer. It also saves replies to emails that have been replied to, for ever, it seems.  I started again creating a new email account as 'Advanced Settings' is only available with a new account and got to sync interval which was set at 30 days, then cancelled the input.  Maybe that's what has changed things.

I do think RIM have made life very difficult with the setup of WiFi, email etc.  Last year I bought an el cheapo chinese tablet, £60, and the set up for WiFi, e mail, Bluetooth was so easy, almost automatic.  Sadly it died 6 months later as these models seem to!  Setting up the Playbook was by comparison, a nightmare.  The WiFi required the Router SSID and password to be entered many many times before it connected and the POP3 email never recognised the SMTP settings.  I resorted to a spurious SMTP obtained from another site, mail.xxxxxxx.com and various derivations of this, until suddenly it connected. Still haven't got Bluetooth to connect, although paired with the PC and my phones.

Hey Ho keeps one out of the pubs and off the streets!!

Cheers Derek

Guru II

Just because the email stays in Outlook doesn't mean it stays on the server. Outlook defaults to downloading the mail and then deleting it from the server. You have to tell it to leave a copy on the server.
Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: tiscali

Thanks John. I deliberately keep e mails on my Outlook programme as I know they are deleted from the server when downloaded to Outlook. Fortunately the Playbook doesn't affect the server, unless I delete things from Playbook whereupon they go from the server. Saves downloading rubbish to my PC!
Cheers Derek
Guru II

If you (or Outlokk) removes the emails fromthe server they will also be removed from the Playbook. That is why they are disappearing on the Playbook. Set Outlook to leave a copy on the server and your problem will be solved.