Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Super Contributor
TexTucker
My Device: pb
My Carrier: none

Re: Blackberry Playbook

Is Push set to On? should be. Then sync interval is greyed out. Then you set sync TIMEFRAME to 30 days.

Also is it hotmail, gmail,  yahoo or another?  I only know gmail and hotmail.

My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1052; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

Ok, this is a bit strange. My wife has her gmail set up on her Playbook and the option for retrieval times is there. However, when I set up my GMail account the option is there initially during setup but disappears after setup is complete.

However, that said, it is clear from the email setup that the Playbook is setting up an imap connection to the mail server ( the imap.gmail.com server address is listed.) That means the device will simply mirror what your mailbox has in it. If you read/delete from the mailbox it will read/delete on the device. This is how it is supposed to work.

As posted in this thread MANY times already if your Outlook is setup using POP (which its obvious that it is) and is removing the mail on the server when you send/receive, downloading the mail to Outlook and NOT leaving a copy on the server, its the same as deleting the mail from the server. You still have a copy in Outlook but its still gone from the server. When you then sync mail on the Playbook any mail that was there will disappear on the Playbook because the Playbook is an imap connection and mirrors the mailbox. Plain and simple. You seem to be having a hard time with this concept.

I recommend either setting your POP Outlook setup to leave a copy on the server. Or the other option is to setup Outlook to also use an imap connection. That is how I always setup Outlook for my gmail. That way whatever I have in Outlook is what I have everywhere else. You can do a Google search for "setup gmail imap in Outlook 2007" or whatever your version is.

Again, your problem is NOT the playbook. It is working as an imap client, mirroring the mailbox its connecting to, and working flawlessly. Your Outlook client is the problem.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I like to use EAS (Exchange Active Sync) instead of POP or IMAP

remove current gmail account

then add new account

choose email, calendar, contacts

choose advanced setup

Choose Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync

- Description, put what you want to describe it

- Leave domain blank

- User name will be your user name on gmail

- Use your email address for email address
- Use m.google.com for server address

click on save and enjoy

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1052; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Using that method does give the Messages sync timeframe option.

However, the same problem will occur if Outlook removes messages from the server. Will it not?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

Actually, I know it does. I just tried it.

Again, Outlook is the problem, not the Playbook. Chenge your settings on Outlook or you will have this problem with any tablet you use, iPad, Android, etc., that uses imap or activesync to access email. Even if you have a tablet that will setup a pop account it will still not download any new mail that has been removed from the server by another client--Outlook in this case.

Again, Outlook is the problem, not the Playbook.
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

John_Clark wrote:

Yes it does under Advanced Settings on the bottom ( scroll down )

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TexTucker
My Device: pb
My Carrier: none

John_Clark wrote:

However, the same problem will occur if Outlook removes messages from the server. Will it not?

That's why I was asking if Push is turned off because he gets no message sync timescale but does get sync period.

Tiscali mail should be straight POP, simple integration, no advanced settings necessary i.e. Push on, to give 7day timescale. Same for hotmail and gmail. Should just need address and password to add the account as Rat7 has also recommended.

Mutumoja is using GMail...was posted somewhere along the line in this thread.

Also, gmail and hotmail are NOT simple POP integration. I'll explain about Gmail below.

I'm able to duplicate what the OP is seeing. It is apparent that the default mail setup for gmail has changed int he last month or two. My wife setup her gmail on her Playbook a month or two ago and got the option for the sync timeframe and I know she didn't manually enter any server addresses--just put in her email and password. When I set it up today I got imap server settings and didn't get the sync timeframe option. Probably part of all the changes Google has been making over the last month or so. It seems GMail is setting up as an IMAP connection by default instead of an ActiveSync/Exchange setup.

If you set up Gmail just as KnottyRope suggests then the option will be there.

However, that is not the root of the problem. In this case, it doesn't matter how you set it up, Mutumoja will ALWAYS have the problem of his Playbook not displaying emails because his Outlook is removing them from the server. Until he fixes that he will not be able to view emails on the Playbook if Outlook is removing them from the server.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

TexTucker wrote:

John_Clark wrote:

That's why I was asking if Push is turned off because he gets no message sync timescale but does get sync period.

Tiscali mail should be straight POP, simple integration, no advanced settings necessary i.e. Push on, to give 7day timescale. Same for hotmail and gmail. Should just need address and password to add the account as Rat7 has also recommended.

Tex, this is incorrect.  I don't know about Tiscali but Hotmail and gmail are not integrated using simple POP.  That is the problem the Mutumoja is experiencing.  If it were POP then the emails wouldn't disappear once downloaded to the Playbook.  Gmail is an imap connection by default or can be setup using ActiveSync/Exchange settings.  When that happens the Playbook becomes a mirror of the server.  Delete mails on the server and they'll delete on the Playbook.  And even if it were POP if the emails are gone from the server before the Playbook can download them they'll never make it to the Playbook at all. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mutumoja
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: tiscali

John, Tex et al.  I don't know where the idea that I'm using G mail, came from.  I'm not, strictly POP3 which was one of the early difficulties in that Playbook would not recognise SMTP until, from another forum I was advised to use 'mail.xxxxxxx.com' or any derivative of that, instead of SMTP, or just leave SMTP blank. One of them worked!!  Apparently earlier versions of Playbook OS would not recognise POP3 and it didn't seem a lot better with the latest upgrade.

CGeers Derek

Please use plain text.