Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Super Contributor
My Device: pb
My Carrier: none

Re: Blackberry Playbook

[ Edited ]

Mutumoja, is that Tiscali mail you are using? Is Push set on?

Regarding Gmail, I didn't say it was POP, I said it can be added by simple integration.  I added all my gmail accounts by simple integration. Only the @gmail.com  email address and password  needed, no advanced settings. They all worked including my current one.

My current setup also has three hotmail i.e. "@live.co.uk" and "@outlook.com" accounts also by simple integration. I have also added hotmail.com and hotmail.co.uk by simple integration. The only advanced setting I change after integration is the sync timescale.

I have done this dozens of times. Otherwise I would not have posted the information. I only post what I have tested or experienced myself.

I belive john stated his qualifications thus...

John_Clark wrote:
I don't use native email on my Playbook but if I recall .....
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS; PlayBook w/OS
My Carrier: AT&T

TexTucker wrote:

John_Clark wrote:
I don't use native email on my Playbook but if I recall .....

We solved this thread in the first page of posts and I didn't need my email integrated to know how it works.  However, I have since added my gmail (several times using several different methods, as well) just to be sure of what is going on with this. 

@Mutumoja, my apologies.  I thought you were using gmail. 

One thing to note, though, is that just because you add an account using simple integration doesn't mean it gets added using pop3.  Gmail gets added via imap automatically.  It used to be added the way Knottyrope suggested by default but with Google's "winter cleaning" they have changed the default setting to make it integrate via imap.    As a side note, the method Knottyrope suggested will no longer work after January 30.  If you set it up that way now it will continue to work but you won't be able to set it up that way after that date.  You don't use Gmail but thought it was worth noting for those that do.

Anyway, all of this makes no difference.  The root of your problem is the same.  Outlook is causing your problem, not the Playbook.  As has been said from the first page of this thread, the Playbook is not a simple pop email client like Outlook.  It mirrors the server so if your Outlook deletes the mail from the server you will lose it on the Playbook.  Plain and simple. 

I'm done with this thread.  I'm unsubscribed after this post.  It's taken 5 pages to try and get the point across and I think the question has been fully answered--and then some.  Change Outlook to leave a copy of your mail on the server.  You can still have email delete from the server when deleted from Outlook and then it will automatically delete from the Playbook.  However, using this setup, if you delete from the Playbook it will delete from the server but not from Outlook.  Again, that's just how it works when Outlook is setup using pop.  If you can set up Outlook using imap that works better for this type of setup.

1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: tiscali

Sorry I've been absent for a while.   During that period things with the Playbook have changed a lot.  For some reason best known to itself it is now saving e mails for at lest 3 weeks which is just what I was after.  So I think that problem is solved.  Many thanks to you all, for your advice and tips, so I'll leave that alone now.  I still occasionally get a message ' something unexpected has happen to my server.....' but emails keep arriving  so  ignore!! 

Otherwise all is well - except Bluetooth which is not all that important at the momen,

Thanks again. Derek