Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

craig38
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

Blackberry Travel

I have a playbook and would like to know if an travel app is avaiable for the playbbook

Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

Re: Blackberry Travel

[ Edited ]

It depends on what exactly you're looking for but I bought Magellan Compass Maps for $4.99 and it's wonderful.Worth every cent in my opinion. It comes with a decent PDF Help File too so you can get using your GPS quickly. I am in Canada and it works well here. I works well in the USA and UK too.

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/21328/

You can cache your downloaded maps for future use and it learns over time your habits so future use is sped up. It will need a Wi-Fi connection initially to get data and points of interest (gas stations, food locations, etc.) but you can always go to a Starbucks or McDonalds type location to use their Wi-Fi for free.

One thing I noticed is that the GPS in the PlayBook takes a really long time (20-30 mins is not unheard of) to initially get connected to the satellites and it's NOT the fault of the Magellan Compass Maps app but the actual GPS device itself built into the PlayBook. So if I were you, I would go outside with the device and let it connect. Once this initial connection happens, future connections will be much faster (1 minute or less). The GPS doesn't work very well indoors. It will work on the first level of your home though but not in a basement.

Here is a copy/paste of their specs for the app:

MapQuest and Open Street Maps navigation application that allows the user to search, navigate, bookmark and GPS track for the BlackBerry® PlayBook™.  Option to cache map data to the device for quicker access and for off-line usage.  Many different layers of data can be overlayed onto the map. Tons of features making Magellan Compass the best mapping and navigation application for the PlayBook.

NOTE:
Many features of the application does require an Internet connection.  The user can choose to cache map data that allows the application to display previous map information off-line.

If you do get GPS, restart the device.  It is not an issue with the application.

Features:
* Map Quest data provider
* Open Street Maps data provider
* Easy navigation to accelerate panning and easy finger zooming
* Multiple types of GPS heads up display
* Multiple map types including maps, satellite, and hybrid
* Automatical map caching for off-line usage
* Quick map cache by region
* Max speed warnings
* Real-time traffic for the U.S.
* Real-time traffic incidents for the U.K.
* Real-time weather radar overlay for the U.S. Along with radar animation.
* Real-time airport status for the U.S.
* POI weather forecast
* Current earthquakes
* Flick (www.flickr.com) photo layer
* Yelp (www.yelp.com) business location and routing layer
* Bookmarks for quick multi-location map locations
* User-defined Points-Of-Interest markers associated with bookmarks
* Auto-remember location for quick address lookup
* Directions and guidance system
	- Multi waypoints
	- Lookup by GPS, Address, Previous, Lat/Lon, Places
	- Directions, Guidance, Optimized
	- Road type avoidance selection (e.g. toll roads)
	- Naviage via auto, bicycle, or waling
	- Textural guidance
	- Voice guidance for turn-by-turn instructions
	- Additional voices can be downloaded
	- Waypoint management
	- "Via" waypoint routing
	- Auto cache map data along route
* On-device user's manuel
* Copy lat/lon locations to clipboard
* POI management
* Record GPS track to GPX files
* Context POI menu