Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry tablet
My Carrier: Bell.net
Accepted Solution

Blackberry desktop software for playbook

Trying to transfer files from my computer to playbook, or...playbook to computer using BB desktop software. I connect my playbook to my computer by USB, but BB desktop software says no connection between playbook and computer.  I have gone through ALL the suggestions that are given by the software to solve the problem, plus suggestions I found in the BB forums with no luck.  The strange thing is that when I first did this, many moons ago, :-)  it worked.  But not anymore.

I am running windows 7 OS on my computer, and the latest 2.1 software on my playbook.  Would sure appreciate being able to connect computer to playbook.

Retired
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Re: Blackberry desktop software for playbook

Hey greyspirit35,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Thanks for the question.

What is the error you're receiving when BlackBerry Desktop Software tries to connect to the BlackBerry PlayBook?  Also if you go to My Computer, does the BlackBerry PlayBook appear as a removeable drive?

I look forward to your reply.

Cheers.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Contributor

Hello Vicious

1.  After connecting playbook to computer, the playbook says, "Connected to Coomputer", and shows arrows going back and forth between computer and playbook.

2.  The playbook does NOT show up as a removeable drive when I bring up "My Computer".  It doesn't show up there at all.

3.  The Blackberry Desktop Software image that comes up on my computer says "Connect your Blackberry device", then under the icon of a computer and the playbook, says "trouble shoot my connection".  If I click on "Get Started", I get the "Troubleshoot my connection" message.

4.  If I go to my "Device Manager",  a "Blackberry Device" is listed under "Network Adapters"

Hope this clarifies my situation.

Greyspirit35

Contributor

Well it's been a couple of weeks since I replied to "Vicious" and answered his questions about my problem trying to connect my BB playbook to my computer so I could use the BB desktop software...and there has been no further offers of help to date.  Does this mean that no one cares? or does it mean that there is no answer to the problem.  That the BB desktop software just sucks and we have to lump it!  I find this quite frustrating.  I can understand why BB has decided not to continue developement of the tablet, since it is fighting for its life at present and that takes priority.  However, there is no excuse for totally ignoring problems that present playbook owners are experiencing and leaving them to just "twist in the wind". 

Hoping I am all wrong here and that there is some solution to this problem.

Super Contributor
My Device: Playbook

[ Edited ]

It's because there is no definitive answer. No single cause. 

If you are Win7 32bit, keep googling and try even more things.  If you are 64 bit I would give up while you are still sane and ignore desktop software.

Could try "Blackberry Link" version 1.1.1 or later instead.

Or what I do is connect the playbook to laptop by wifi and drag files across between them.

See wifi sharing in here. http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB26068

Sarah.
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I have not had an issue with win 7 32 or 64 bit

you do have to wait a while for it to be reconised though

or just start using wifi sharing instead which I find much easier to make a quick transfer

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

Hey Sarah

Thank you soooooooo much.  That wifi trick works like a charm and allows me to do all the things I was trying to do with the BB desktop software.  You have ended many hours of frustration for me.  Again... thank you so much.

(Still, I wonder why BB seems to have done nothing to solve this problem and make the desktop software work the way it should.  Have they simply decided to abandon the playbook altogether, including support?  )

Greyspirit

Contributor

Thank you for the response Knotty.  I agree with you, the wifi sharing is a very simple solution and works really well.

Greyspirit35

Contributor

Hello again.  Seems I spoke a tad too soon.  I was able to use the wifi sharing trick once to transfer files from computer to BB playbook, but the next time I tried it, I ran into a problem.  At first I assumed I was using an incorrect password, but on reflection, I no longer think that because:

Once the BB network appears, and I click on the folder "media share", the screen asking for user name and password appears...and on bottom of that screen, in RED LETTERS, it says "access denied" before I even start typing anything!

This leads me to believe that something else is preventing/denying me access.  I've gone through all the options I could find in my browser to remove any security condition that might cause this, plus I disabled "user account control", as well as disabled all anti virus software including windows firewall.  I can't think of anything else, but I'm still unable to avoid the "access denied" message on the sign in window of BB network access. 

Does anyone have any suggestions? 

Thanking all in advance for considering my plight.

Greyspirit

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

possible the IP of playbook changed, look in general and select network to see it

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V