Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Visitor
My Device: BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK

Blackberry tablet update

Attached tablet to computer which immediately said there is an update for the tablet and asked if i wanted to do so, sayu=ing yes it went thru all the actions of the update, but in doing so it erased all data.In talking to a tech who I don't believe knows mach says that if you connect to the computer this will happen. If so WHY, WHY, WHY does the software inform you of this before proceeding. I had stopped using my laptop because the tablet appeared more convenient and useful. EVEN if it had said please backup all data before continuing would have been fine. this update is FALSE HOPE AND IF I CAN;T FIND ANY RECOVERY SOFEWARE I WILL let this be known. Thanks and hopefully someone can help!!!!  protection7@surewest.net

Super Contributor
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB

Re: Blackberry tablet update

KILLERK7-SHERLOCK__ME wrote:

Attached tablet to computer which immediately said there is an update for the tablet and asked if I wanted to do so, sayu=ing yes it went thru all the actions of the update, but in doing so it erased all data.In talking to a tech who I don't believe knows mach says that if you connect to the computer this will happen. If so WHY, WHY, WHY does the software inform you of this before proceeding. I had stopped using my laptop because the tablet appeared more convenient and useful. EVEN if it had said please backup all data before continuing would have been fine. this update is FALSE HOPE AND IF I CAN;T FIND ANY RECOVERY SOFEWARE I WILL let this be known. Thanks and hopefully someone can help!!!!  protection7@surewest.net

Here are some thoughts ;

1. Connecting your PlayBook to the PC will not wipe out your data if it was backed up. However, Contacts and Calendar data maintained in the PlayBook only will get lost if it is not synced with Google, Yahoo or whatever. 

2. Once you get your PlayBook back in order do yourself a favor and back up your stuff!

3. The latest OS version is 2.1.0.1526 - unless while I write this BlackBerry released BB10 for the PlayBook - haha

4. Your best hope is dobbing your PlayBook back to service is to "debrick" it. Search the board how to do this.

5. If you download OS, make sure you have strong Wifi signal. (Sit beside your router if you have to.) There are lots of folks who get their PlayBook screwed up by loosing wifi connection while downloading operating system.

Follow the debricking procedure step by step. You should be OK.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

Re: Blackberry tablet update

[ Edited ]

This happened to me twice on a windows laptop too. Give  killerk7etc a break and just consider the scenario.

User uses playbook, impressed with new purchase.

Decides it's about time it was backed up. 

Connect to desktop software.

Offered an update which is accepted in good faith

The warning about deleting data is missed or ignored, it's quite small. Some insist it was not there.

Data wiped.

However one may say the warning should have been noticed, how is the user supposed to proceed when the only options available are either abort with no backup and never use Desktop software again, or accept the update in good faith?

This is a serious flaw in desktop software that continually catches people, out almost at random. There are too many reports of this on the forums for it to be 100% user error.