Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700, Playbook
My Carrier: Bell

Bluetooth Antenna Intermittently Turns Off When Bridging

[ Edited ]

I made reference to this issue in another related thread, but I decided to start a new thread to to see if anyone else is experiencing this specific problem.

I have an issue with the bluetooth on my Playbook.  I have seen the knowledge base work around for troubleshooting the Blackberry Bridge connection, but this is not the issue.  It is not an issue with connecting the bridge but rather an issue with the bluetooth antenna itself.  I have a feeling that it may be hardware related which is why I am questioning whether or not I need to exchange my Playbook for a new one before my return period expires.

What happens is when I attempt to bridge my Playbook (v1.0.3.1868) and my phone (Bold 9700 v6.0.0.534), very frequently the bluetooth antenna turns off by itself and thus terminates the connection.  I am often presented with the error message "RS_NO_BLUETOOTH".  Sometimes I am presented with a message that says "Bluetooth must be enabled..." with an option to enable bluetooth even though it was enabled when I attempted to connect.  Additionally, when I do get it to connect the bluetooth will turn off at some point shortly after while I am in one of my bridge applications.  For example, I will connect the bridge, open messages, but then when I click a message view it, the bluetooth turns off and disconnects the bridge.

I have also seen issues with my bluetooth when simply trying to change the bluetooth state from off to on or vice versa.  Regardless of the current state, I slide the bluetooth toggle and it stays in the new position for a couple of seconds and then reverts back to the previous state.

As previously stated, I am concerned that this is a hardware issue and may not be resolved by the coming OS updates.  As is the case I am worried that if my 14 day return period expires I will be stuck with a Playbook that has a faulty bluetooth antenna.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Should I pursue an exchange from Future Shop or is it possible that this is a software problem and will be resolved by an upcoming update?  If I do not immediately exchange my Playbook, will I be supported by RIM and receive a new unit as part of the 1 year manufacturer warranty should this not be resolved by software updates in the near future?

Trusted Contributor
My Device: various
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Bluetooth Antenna Intermittently Turns Off When Bridging

There is 1 year manufacturer's warranty on the device i do believe so you should be fine either way. Have you wiped your playbook and updated to the latest firmware? Also, have you tried updating/downgrading the OS on your device to make sure that isnt the culprit? (you may also want to try another device for testing purposes)

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Accept as Solution" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the Star on the left of their post.
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have not wiped my device, but I am running the latest firmware, 1868 after having initially installed 1710 upon the Playbook initialization.

I have considered that it may be my phone version that could be causing problems, however I have no problems connecting to other bluetooth devices with my phone, such as my handsfree car stereo and my bluetooth enabled ski helmet.

Testing another phone is a good idea.  I will proceed to test my Playbook with my fiancee's phone and see what happens.  Additionally, if I go back to the store to discuss this issue with them (mostly in regards to return policies since their staff don't know a thing about anything) I will test bridging my phone with it's current OS to their demo display Playbooks and see what happens.  In both cases I will report back my findings in an effort to isolate the issue in hopes of finding a solution.

Additionally, I am not certain, but I don't seem to recall having this disconnect issue prior to updating the latest version of Blackberry Bridge.  I only used the previous version very briefly, but I don't recall having any issues until the second day of owning my Playbook which is when I updated to the latest Blackberry Bridge...

All of that being said, none of these proposed tests that I'm going to try have anything to do with me being unable to turn off my Playbook bluetooth and have it come back on by itself.  Like I previously mentioned, I slide the toggle from on to off and then seconds later it comes back to the on status.  Sometimes it's instant and sometimes it takes upwards of a minute but regardless I have not been able to turn the bluetooth off when I want to.  I believe I had the opposite occur once as well where it was off and when I slide it to the on position it turns right back off.

Contributor

I have contacted tech support and they instructed me to wipe the playbook and perform a fresh install of the latest OS.  Additionally I performed a fresh OS install on my phone, even though the problem with the bluetooth in my playbook is evident independent of my phone, ie I have trouble even just turning the bluetooth on the playbook off and on and it also randomly turns off or on by itself.

Upon performing the installs, the problems I've explained persist.  I will be exchanging or returning my playbook on Sunday unless a fix is presented before then.

My Device: Tour 9630
My Carrier: Verizon

Holy cr*p!!  I have the same problem.  I can not get bluetooth to stay enabled long enough to add a device.  Did the update May 6.  Made no difference.  Thought it might be the Sync system in my Ford.  Updated Sync but it didn't make a difference.  Can't even add a simple bluetooth headset.  It prompts me, says it's enabled and shuts down as I try to add it.  driving me nuts.  Some one help. 

Contributor

Don't hesitate, take it back. I replaced mine and the difference is night and day. I trouble shooted mine fours hour and hours, replaced it and not a single issue, yet...