Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

dxlinders
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: None

Bluetooth keyboard problem -- keyboard connects, but no response to key presses

I purchased a bluetooth keyboard with standard HID support (Rocksoul BK10003BB). They keyboard functions without any issues on my desktop and smart phone. The Playbook recognizes and connects with the keyboard without a problem (the bluetooth icon lights up and lists "Bluetooth Keyboard" as one of the connected devices), but no applications register any of my key presses. I am on OS 2.0.0.3778.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

Re: Bluetooth keyboard problem -- keyboard connects, but no response to key presses

For any device to work with a computer or tablet, there has to be compatiblity with the operating system, and also the required drivers. Having a Bluetooth handshake is only the first part of the process.

I know of a mini keyboard that is compatible with the Playbook. It is from an importer called Hipstreet. I've used the Hipstreet mini keybaord with the Playbook and it works well, but my preference is still the touch screen for typing. This keyboard can be charged using the Blackberry charger or the computer's USB port.

http://www.hipstreetonline.com/products/Universal-Tablet-Bluetooth-Keyboard.html

If you search the Hipstreet site, they also have a larger size keyboard for the Playbook that also includes a screen holder, and thus making the Playbook work very much like a Netbook computer. There are also other manufacture and distributor Bluetooth type devices that will work with the Playbook. 

Whenever buying any options for the Playbook or for any tablet type, it is important to verify that the option you choose is compatible to the device you want to use it with.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
flybabyroxy
My Device: 9930/PlayBook
My Carrier: Sprint

Re: Bluetooth keyboard problem -- keyboard connects, but no response to key presses

I just posted a new thread about tbis. I bought the hip street bluetooth mini keyboard and it pairs to my playbook but it wont type on the screen :smileysad:

FlyBabyRoxy
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50

I have the mini Hip Street keyboard. It works very well with the Playbook. If you contact Hip Street they will support their product. Maybe you got a defective one.

In the Blackberry phone using the Bridge software, you can remote control the Playbook. The phone's keyboard will also work as a mini keyboard.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
flybabyroxy

I actually bought it from a store on amazon but i paired it with my son's iphone and it worked perfectly. Thats why i assumed maybe i was doin sumthin wrong

FlyBabyRoxy
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50

I am wondering if there are different versions of this keyboard. The OS of the Play Book is totally different than of the Apple product. I know these accessories are OS dependent.

Jerry G.
Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
flybabyroxy

My playbook has the latest OS and the package for the keyboard says bluetooth 3.0 and the back says - google android OS - windows mobile 6.0 -nokia symbian s60 - iphone 4.0 OS

FlyBabyRoxy
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50

I remember when buying this keyboard, it was over with the Playbook accessories. I cannot find the box, but I think I remember it saying on the back for the Blackberry Playbook. 

I remember trying my mini keyboard on another tablet. I cannot remember if it was the iPad or the Samsung. I remember it did not work on the one I tried. I have a remote Bluetooth keyboard for my Win7 laptop. It does not work with the Playbook. 

I found a listing for this mini keyboard on Amazon. This one is advertized specific for the Playbook. I think I remember being told about this previously. 

http://www.amazon.com/Street-Bluetooth-Keyboard-Playbook-HS-PBMINIKYBD/dp/B004Y8NV1E

The operating system for the Playbook was built up for QNX. If I remember correctly QNX was derived from Unix. It was originaly developed for specialized systems control for automation. 

Jerry G. 

Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
flybabyroxy

That's the one I bought and that's what it says on my invoice but nowhere on the box does it say hipstreet. I wish I knew what it looked like (the packaging)
FlyBabyRoxy
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50

The Hip Street link below shows two of these keyboards.  I tried to find the box it came in. I have a feeling that I tossed the box. I bought this mini keyboard over a year ago. I distinctly remember the salesman telling me that the version of keyboard must be for the Playbook. This came up because I was looking at other keyboards. 

http://www.hipstreet.com/products/Universal-Tablet-Bluetooth-Keyboard.html

I've tried other remote keyboards on my Playbook. Only ones that the package indicated Playbook on it were able to work. :smileysad:

Jerry G. 

Jerry G.
Please use plain text.