Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Developer
jocala
My Device: Playbook

Boo Kobo

Just as an FYI, epub is not a registered filetype on the PB. That means that clicking on an epub file from a file manager will not trigger Kobo to open the book. One more reason to hate this useless app.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,953
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Boo Kobo

Hey I agree, and I've seen several posts about this over the past month.

Do we have any other e-book readers on the horizon? You're a developer... can you?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Tony86
My Device: BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK

I have downloaded several free ebooks and bought a couple more on kobo, and for that, I think it works properly.

Just yesterday I was reading Sherlock Holmes for free...

This app is not something you would use to open up a document.  Even less an unsupported type of file don't you think...

Please use plain text.
Developer
cas118
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB

Bugger it.

I will see if I can knock a basic eReader for free epubs this week.

The question is, would people be interested in a non-DRM ePub reader?

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Developer
jocala
My Device: Playbook

Cas118,

First thing I do is strip the DRM from any book I buy, then use Calibre to convert it to epub if needed. Lots of folks like me have large collections of epubs. I was thinking about looking at the source for FBReader when the NDK is released, although my C is extremely rusty.  There's also source for FBReaderJ out there, but I haven't seen anything for AS3.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

jocala wrote:

Just as an FYI, epub is not a registered filetype on the PB. That means that clicking on an epub file from a file manager will not trigger Kobo to open the book.

For this specific case, it is the other way around. The file manager app you use has not updated their list of association filetype->app.

that being said, there is half a dozen epub reader available in AppWorld as of early July 2011.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.