Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Trusted Contributor
turdusturdus
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: telus

Boot up time

The boot up time of a Playbook, in comparison to nearly every other solid state machine, of whatever type, is glacial. The latest Samsung laptop is working within 10 seconds.

Naturally, I had hoped that the latest OS update might have included an improvement.

Frankly, my friends laugh, when, in the pub, I want to see what the other teams are doing, and they know before the colours start to change. 

Can someone push this as an absolutely necessary improvement? There aren't spinning hard drives inside, or are there?

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

Re: Boot up time

[ Edited ]

Why don't you just keep it started and put the PlayBook into Airplane Mode (use the gear icon up in the top right corner of the interface and select Airplane Mode - it will kill the wireless radio and bluetooth connections which will drain your battery, even in standby mode.

Airplane Mode will deplete your battery very minimally and is my preferred method of snoozing my PlayBook because if you don't manually shutoff your Wi-Fi connection before using Standby, it will drain your battery over time, possibly to a critical state.

Many of the complaints on this forum are due to people not realizing this and if they don't use their PB's for a long period of time, say a week or more, it will eventually drain the battery entirely which will then cause you not to be able to easily charge the unit or turn it on. As you can probably guess, they then come here spewing hate and saying RIM sucks but really, it's the lack of knowledge by the operator. These things can be prevented. A word of advice, don't let your PlayBook's battery go below 25%. It actually can go lower, but it's not advisable to let a Li-on battery drain out completely. Li-on batteries will last much longer if they are charged frequently. They do not have a memory effect.

By the way, booting my PlayBook from an off condition only take me between 1:30-2:00 minutes. If you think that's bad, try an HP Touchpad...it's worse!

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
turdusturdus
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: telus

Thanks for that. Will try in future.

However, regarding charge levels, have noted, too, that a USB port on the front of a computer will not charge the Playbook properly (also happens to my Blackberry).

If I place the USB connector in a rear port, which has a slightly higher amperage, then everything is fine. Otherwise, I have to recharge with another method before leaving home.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

turdusturdus wrote:

Thanks for that. Will try in future.

However, regarding charge levels, have noted, too, that a USB port on the front of a computer will not charge the Playbook properly (also happens to my Blackberry).

If I place the USB connector in a rear port, which has a slightly higher amperage, then everything is fine. Otherwise, I have to recharge with another method before leaving home.

Your observations about trying to charge via the USB ports on a computer are correct. USB ports via computer are not powerful enough to properly charge the PlayBook. It will actually trickle charge over an extended period of time but its more frustrating than not. In fact, if your tablet is on, you will use more power than goes into the device. They will not resurect your PlayBook if the battery loses 100% charge though.

A typical USB cable is meant for data transfer and for connecting the device to the Desktop software.

This is why the tablet ships with an AC charger. They call it a premium travel charger and it does a very good job of charging the device. You can get a magnetic rapid charger which is the fastest charger and it has the benefit of a magnetic clip that will come off when snagged or bumped. It's pretty expensive though but a worthwhile investment.

A common problem with the PlayBooks failing is the micro USB port breaking from accidental damage.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,825
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Just place it in standby mode and you laugh at your friends while their device is booting up.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.