Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
mannyjo85
My Device: Curve 8530
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Bridge Browser Blocks Internet Access

First time poster, so bear with me if this has been discussed elsewhere.

I purchased the PlayBook for my wife, who works for a large hospital system in northern Virginia.  Her BlackBerry Curve phone is a personal phone (not provided by the hospital) with Verizon Wireless as the carrier.  I pay for the unlimited data plan and enterprise server access so that she can read her work emails, manipulate her work calendar, etc.

We successfully bridged her phone to her PlayBook.  Problem is, when she tries to access the web through the Bridge Browser, the hospital's IT department blocks access to many sites because of security purposes.  She can surf the web with her phone directly with Verizon (not going through the hospital's enterprise server), but she apparently can't access the Verizon service through the Bridge Browser.

I was told by the sales rep who sold me the PlayBook that the device essentially emulates all functions that I have on my BlackBerry phone.  But it won't let me surf the web on Bridge Browser without going through the hospital server.  So, how do I get the Bridge Browser to give me the option to bypass the hospital enterprise server and emulate the regular Verizon browser on my wife's phone?

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Bridge Browser Blocks Internet Access

what OS is the phone using? On your device, type in a new message MYVER and a space after to see and report back please.

Since it is on BES, there might be a policy that tells the phone to use a certain browser. if on OS 5. You can change the default browser to allow them to use their carrier instead of BES for internet access.

KB16463 - How to change the default browser on a BlackBerry smartphone

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mannyjo85
My Device: Curve 8530
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I typed MYVER as you instructed, and it displayed 8530/5.0.0.973.  What's next, please?

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

knottyrope wrote:

KB16463 - How to change the default browser on a BlackBerry smartphone

Try the above KB and see if you can sure on all types of browser on your phone and what was the default one?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.