Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Trusted Contributor
MrSimmonsSr
My Device: Torch 9800 & Playbook
Accepted Solution

Bridge Files app and media card encryption..

[ Edited ]

Just wanted to note clearly, in hopes that someone from RIM will see, that opening files over the Bridge Files app is almost useless if your BES admins force media card encryption on, like mine do. All files saved on the MicroSD card are encrypted and have a .rem extension appended to the filename. When this happens, the Bridge Files app is too dumb to see the file and decrypt it.

It is clear to me that this could be fixed in a software update and I hope it will be. It dramatically limits the usefulness of the bridge. I can't open any file saved with the bridge browser, or anything that comes as an email attachment. Most annoying..

Can anyone comment on whether RIM has made a statement anywhere on whether this will be fixed or not?

Thanks!!

New Contributor
egonzale97
My Device: Torch 9800

Re: Bridge Files app and media card encryption..

+1.  I'm not forced to encrypt due to IT policy, but I still encrypt for security reasons.  This is a pretty big omission on the World's first professional-grade tablet. from Blackberry.

Trusted Contributor
MrSimmonsSr

Agreed.. Hopefully will be fixed quickly in an update of some sort..
New Contributor
egonzale97
My Device: Torch 9800

Well, at least the wait wasn't long. :Clap:  Last night two updates came out.  One for Blackberry bridge and another for the Playbook OS.  Not sure which one fixed it but I can now see and open my encrypted files.

Thank you RIM.

Trusted Contributor
MrSimmonsSr

Same here! Sweet!! Email attachments all working like a champ now! Woot! Thanks, RIM!!

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

That is great news, please mark solution.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V