Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
Brokentooth
My Device: Playbook 64gb

Broken bluetooth (fix?)

Just today, I purchased a Sandberg Mini Bluetooth Keyboard, HID and everything. Now, my Playbook has no troubles finding the thing. It, however, drops the keyboard at random intervals, from a few seconds to, when serendipity smiles upon me, an entire minute.

The keyboard is fine; even with my most scrutinous googling, I could not find a single complaint about its connectivity.

Then I went looking for info on potential problems with the Playbook's Bluetooth. Oh boy. Seems like everyone and their mothers have had problems with Bluetooth keyboards on the Playbook. So, the problem rests with the tablet.

I don't want to have to buy the pricy official keyboard. I bought the Playbook because I figured I could do with fewer apps, in exchange for rugged, business like *reliability*. So, my question is this: is there a fix? I'm not talking about some future update, I found a thread back from 2011 were one was promised. My Playbook is fully updated; I checked not half an hour ago. In case there isn't a *concrete* solution, does anyone know a good 7" Android tablet? I've been eyeing an Asus. It looks so... functional.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Enygma
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook

Re: Broken Bluetooth (fix?)

[ Edited ]

You don't say what you have done to try to isolate the problem.

I don't know your particular keyboard and don't know if that brand has compatibility problems with a PlayBook, but I can make some basic suggestions with respect to troubleshooting..

Do you have problems on your PlayBook with any other paired Bluetooth device?  Is your keyboard fully charged?  Are there any removable batteries that could be weak or corroded contacts giving intermittent or weak performance?  Does your device show up on the list of saved Bluetooth connections/paired devices?  Have you tried to see what the Bluetooth indicator on the top of the PlayBook shows while you type?  Are there any other Bluetooth devices nearby sending an interrupting signal that in effect boots your keyboard off?  Have you tried to pair the keyboard with another Bluetooth device such as a different brand of tablet or a laptop?  If so is it fully reliable?

PlayBook 64GB and 32 GB
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Brokentooth
My Device: Playbook 64gb

Re: Broken Bluetooth (fix?)

Thank you for the very measured reply to my sligthly vitriolic rant.

They only troubleshooting I've done has been fully charging both devices, dissabling the Playbook's wifi, and re-associating the keyboard with the tablet a few times. I just figured the tablet was at fault, considering I couldn't find a single mention of the keyboard being faulty when I checked the net.

As a side note, in case the Sandberg is at fault, does anybody have any recommendations for a cheap, non-cover keyboard for the tablet?

Please use plain text.