Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
john777_a
My Device: Playbook 32 2.1
Accepted Solution

Browser Sluggish

I'm sure this has been asked befor but, after the 2.1 update the browser is a might sluggish. Not really bad, but it was awesome fast before.

I have cleared all the cache/ history etc, would you recommend disabling java or something or any quick tips I could use?

Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

Re: Browser Sluggish

[ Edited ]

john777_a wrote:

I'm sure this has been asked before but, after the 2.1 update the browser is a might sluggish. Not really bad, but it was awesome fast before.

I have cleared all the cache/ history etc, would you recommend disabling java or something or any quick tips I could use?

I disagree with you 100% for I feel the browser has improved dramatically on the PlayBook. Rendering is way more smooth than it was previously. The HTML 5 results rank the PlayBook OS 2.1 web browser as number one too out of all tablet browsers http://html5test.com/results/tablet.html and lends support to my claims. The browser has improved 11 points since 2.0 release.

I think your perceived sluggishness may be attributed to spotty network connections and on that fact, I would tend to agree that the PlayBook definitely does have issues with it's Wi-Fi radio connections as I have personally experienced this myself (and overcome them for that matter). The two play together hand in hand though. I would investigate your router settings and/or try other wireless networks before coming to the conclusion that it is the browser itself that is sluggish. 

Note: Did you notice what's coming down the pipe in BB OS 10 on that browser results table? That's something to get excited about!

New Contributor
john777_a

I switched to 5G and all is whizzy now, seems to connect perfectly now, no drops at all :Clap:

Whats coming with the BB OS 10?

Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

A web browser with 484/500 possible points. Should make for a very good browsing experience.

New Contributor
john777_a

Just watched a quick 'hands on' video.
That is an awesome looking OS! Can't wait to try that out, appreciate the heads up chaosdivine !