Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 64GB
My Carrier: Not Applicable - No cellular capability
Accepted Solution

Bug in the WiFi set up firmware on the Playbook

I have been trying to connect to a WiFi network with an SSID of "MiWiFi" (without the quote marks). For some reason, the Playbook refuses to save any WiFi connection with this as the SSID. Alternatives such as "miWiFi", and "MiWiFI" work properly, but the one I am trying to use will not work.

I am reluctant to change the SSID as I already have a number of Windows and Linux PCs already using "MiWiFi", as well as an Asus Transformer Tablet and a Samsung mobile phone.

Has anyone else experienced this type of problem?

Will someone try a manual setup using an SSID of "MiWiFi" to see if their tablet will save the information?

Is there any way of getting Blackberry to investigate this issue? As I believe it is a software bug, I am unwilling to pay for support.

Any comments will be welcomed. Thank you for reading this.

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 64GB
My Carrier: Not Applicable - No cellular capability

Re: Bug in the WiFi set up firmware on the Playbook

Since posting this question, I found the following on the Internet. I have changed the SSID names to match those in my original question:

Try setting up the network manually using the network name "MiWiFI" - note the last letter is a capital. Save the network.

Now go into your list of saved networks, where it should appear. Click on MiWiFI, and you can change the profile and SSID to MiWiFi. Then you can save the change.

This appears to work and gets around Blackberry's software bug.