Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Highlighted
Retired
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Re: CANNOT CONNECT PLAYBOOK TO PC

Hey walwyn,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Thanks for the question.

I have a few questions for you.

1. Do you receive any of these errors when connecting the BlackBerry® PlayBook™ to your PC: "Media Services are not available" or "Your BlackBerry device is not compatible with this feature"

2. If you go into My Computer is the BlackBerry® PlayBook™ listed as external hard drive?

I look forward to your reply.

Cheers.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

possible you need to uninstall Device Manager, not Desktop Software.

Disconnect the PB from the computer.
Uninstall the Device Manager.
Reboot your computer (for good measure)
Connect the PB using the USB cable.
Now you should see a PlayBook CD-ROM.
In that CD-ROM you will find version 7 of the Device Manager, install it.
Once installed disconnect the PB from the computer.
Wait for about 15 seconds then plug it back in.
Windows should detect new device and start Device Manager. It may take up to two minutes for windows to detect and properly install.
Then device manager will map 'z' drive to the PB.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: orange

@ViciousFerret

Thanks for the continued help.

I get neither of those error messages, just an error that the driver failed to install. Neither, do I have it listed as an external drive. I used to have it listed there, but that stopped happening after the last OS update. However, I can't be absolutely sure that it was the OS update that was the cause, as the following morning we went away for 10 days and the problem was only noticed when we returned.

I did a factory reset of the playbook yesterday, and that didn't fix the issue. If anything it is worse as the software no longer recognises that a blackberry is connected by just says unknown device. I can access the playbook via WiFi and copy files to it that way but not through the USB.

I've also uninstalled and installed trhe drivers and desktop software a number of times, and tried this on the two desktop computers at home.

My next attempt will be see if I can access it on one of the computers at work and/or by using a colleagues USB lead.

New Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: orange

@knottyrope

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've tried those a number of times, and had the device manager reinstall. The problem remains that when the playbook is plugged in the drivers never install properly.

New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook / Curve 9300
My Carrier: AT&T

Regarding this post::

If you cannot see any RIM Network devices in your XP Device Manager list, how does one even uninstall it? I only have 2 adapters listed, neither of them RIM. What should I be looking for, and what specifically should I uninstall? Several reinstalls of DM have failed to discover drivers.

I had similar problems in a W7/64 laptop, and was able to conquer them by reinstalls of DM, such that Windows finally saw and installed 2 drivers.

No such luck in XP. FWIW, DM does see my Curve 9300 OK, even though there are no RIM drivers. listed.