Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

rdaart
My Device: Paybook
My Carrier: Telus

CANNOT CONNECT PLAYBOOK TO PC

This is my first problem with Playbook. I downloaded the new OS on Tuesday. Now my Playbook will not connect with my PC. I downloaded a the newest version of the desktop software onto my PC and the issue is the same. There is no problem with any of my USB cables as I have no problem charging the unit. There is no problem with the software either as I have no problem with syncing my Blackberry Torch. The desktop software launches immediately when I plug my Torch in, but with the Playbook, nothing happens. I have even tried turning my Antivirus software off while re-booting the Playbook. Nothing works. Help anyone?

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
BB4matt
My Device: Z30, Torch 9800, Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

Re: CANNOT CONNECT PLAYBOOK TO PC

Have you disabled the WiFi and Bluetooth connectrivity on your PB? Just checking, it happened to me too. Both must be 'Off' in order to allow DM to connect to one's PB.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
MikeyHagerty
My Device: Playbook 2.0
My Carrier: Verizon

I uninstalled the Blackberry Desktop Software and the Blackberry Driver Software from my Win 7/64 laptop, rebooted and then installed the latest version I could find, 610_b038_multilanguage.exe.  I then rebooted, just in case, and after rebooting I plugged in my PlayBook, which had both WiFi and Bluetooth turned off.  The laptop reported that it was loading the driver, which then told me it was going to load 7.0 from the CD (apparently on the new OS on the Playbook, so the laptop could see it at that point).  After it completed loading the drivers, both one from RIM and one from Microsoft, it reported that both drivers were successfully installed.

At this point, the Desktop Software correctly reported the Software Version of the Playbook (7971), the correct PIN and it has the correct Last sync and Last backup dates.

The driver loader told me to unplug my PlayBook, which I did and rebooted.   When I brought it back up, after rebooting both the laptop and the Playbook, it would not connect to the PlayBook, asking me if I wanted to Retry, Update or Close.  Since Update means it reloads the Playbook OS from scratch, tossing everything that was there, I stopped there and closed.

The Blackberry Smartphone driver reported by Windows is 4.2.0.14, dated 6/23/2011. 

I have done everything I can think of to get my PlayBook to talk to my laptop, so I can restore all of the data files from the backup that were deleted by installing the new OS.  I am about as frantic as I can be and would welcome any suggestions you can think of that might get this working...

Mikey

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB & Torch 9860
My Carrier: Cogeco

Google this. KB27204. Might be some tips there for you.
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea

Here is another one to check. KB26904. Let us know if this worked.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
quake
My Device: blackberry playbook 2
My Carrier: me

I downloaded the new (358) software last week and it all seems fine. The first time I connected to my PC to download a file, it installed new drivers and then everything seemed to go fine. It takes about 20 seconds to realise the USB lead has been connected and assign drive Z though. It used to take about 5 seconds previously. This doesn't bother me. I don't have to disable wifi to make the USB work???

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
MikeyHagerty
My Device: Playbook 2.0
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

Ooooooh, thank you soooooo much, Lost_at_Sea.  It required the information in both the KB articles to fix the problem.  I truly appreciate the assistance.  You have made my day!!!!

Mikey

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
walwyn
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: orange

I have the same problem as above, every thing was working fine until the software update on the 18th of April. I've tried the KB27204 suggestion. The KB26904 doesn't provide me with a solution as I don't get a "Research In Motion Network Device" under Local Area Connection.

What I get is a failure to install the device drivers. The Desktop manager recognizes that the playbook is attached and displays the correct PIN# but cannot conmnect to it.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea

Walwyn,
You will have to remove the driver from your computer using Windows Add/Remove software. Then do a reboot of the computer and reinstall the driver. Follow the instructions in those two Knowledge Base documents above. What OS is your computer using?
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
walwyn
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: orange

Thanks for the help.

On a 64 bit windows 7 machine I have uninstalled the Blackberry desktop software and also the Blackberry device driver. I've redownloaded the desktop software 6.1 and reinstalled it. I do not have an entry for the blackberry device driver. I've then followed the two KB articles.

In the device list I have RIM network device with an "!" trouble shooting this, results in "RIM network device not installed. Applying fix gives "RIM networkj device doesn't have a driver".

On an 32 bit XP machine that had not previously had any blackberry software installed I connected the playbook. I was then told that the machine could not find the appropriate  device driver. I've installed the desktop software on the XP machine and followed the KB articles. I have the same issue on the XP machine as I have on the win7 machine. The computer cannot find the device driver.

The OS on the playbook is 2.0.1.358

Please use plain text.