If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
JayR2
My Device: Playbook 64g
My Carrier: None - WiFi Only

Calendar - public holidays

Assuming that I can get my Calendar to accept and show appointments, is there any way to upload public holidays (e.g. UK) to it?

Ideally I would just like to upload/sync from my PC Outlook calendar (in the same way that the iPad does) via the USB connection, but this seems to be an impossible dream.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

Re: Calendar - public holidays

trying to answer both your posts here.

Your Outlook client is presumably sync'd with a web mail of some sort, either coporate or hotmail type. Sync the Playbook to that and you will pick up the same calendar as Outlook.

If you are trying to kep an Outlook calendar on the PC only, withouyt any web database then you will not be able to sync to Playbook. It is not logical to sync two clients together without any common web email service. 

Re your duplicate post, using the web/corporate email as the primary source should enable you access to UK holiday calendar. Should not be any need to upload in batch mode. 

Re displaying check the Calendar settings to ensure you are displaying Local calendar (default is usually orange colour)  Your month view for example should show orange lines down left hand side of the day boxes. The middle Agenda column shows all appointments whereas the left hand Day schedule can be buggy. 

Don't give a fig what eyepad can do. 

Thanks for your response.

Your presumption that I sync webmail with my Outlook client is incorrect. I simply download (and delete) to Outlook, whilst on my Playbook sync it with the webmail temporarily until the next time I access via Outlook.

I do not use any web based calendar.

Your statement that "It is not logical to sync two clients together without any common web email service" is false. It is entirely logical to link/sync two calendars together - in the same way that it is logical to sync stored music between a PC and a tablet. I am not the only user who does not wish their diary to be available on the web to be hacked.

However, I knew that linking/syncing what are effectively two stand alone calendars between a PC and a Playbook has not yet been achieved by the developers.

From your response I gather that there are no feeds of national holidays available for the native playbook calendar and that it relies on piggybacking on those used by the web based calendar that it is being synced to.

Moving on now to your suggestions for displaying calendar entries.

I have checked the settings, I only have one calendar - the default, and in the calendar preferences it is shown as orange (although on the display there is no orange colour visible anywhere). The month view only has light grey lines round all sides of the day boxes, and the Agenda view just shows the day and date and the week number at the top, and below this is a large space - blank except for the message "Your schedule is free." followed by a plus sign in a dotted grey box under which it says "Add Appointment".

Clicking on the "+" sign open up the input screen showing Calendar = Playbook local (with an orange bar), with a "day view" shown in a column on the left,

On filling in the "Subject" box and selecting the Start and End date and times, and setting the reminder, the "day view" shown has an orange bar to the left of the selected time period.

At this point I touch the folder symbol with the tick in it and the display goes back to the "month view" on the left, with a "day view" column on the right - both of which are just as blank as when I started, as is the Agenda view - which still tells me that my schedule is free and invites me to add an appointment.

I agree, I don't give a fig what the ipad can do - except what Apple can do I would hope that Blackberry might be able to make a fair stab at doing something similar.

So is this a software glitch on my Playbook or a fundamental user error somewhere.

(I am also making an assumption, which is that the Playbook Calendar can operate as a stand alone calendar.)

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser

So you are using outlook but without any email accounts set up? And playbook cal with no email sync accounts?

If so then I stand by all my remarks. 

My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

JayR2 wrote:

Assuming that I can get my Calendar to accept and show appointments, is there any way to upload public holidays (e.g. UK) to it?

Ideally I would just like to upload/sync from my PC Outlook calendar (in the same way that the iPad does) via the USB connection, but this seems to be an impossible dream.

find an ICS file that contains all the UK public holidays, and import that ICS file in Outlook Calendar.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser

[ Edited ]

How would he transfer it to Playbook when both outlook and playbook use native unsyncd calendars? I can't see a way. 

Hi jarviser,

Obviously I have an email account set up and I have that email synced with my playbook and (as I explained in my earlier post) download to my Outlook. I use my PC based Outlook calendar, but this is not synced to my email account. It only sits on my PC - I do not use or sync to a web based calendar.

I know you have no interest in what an "eyepad" can do, but if those guys can do it - then the Blackberry developers also ought to be able to do it. I appreciate you standing by your remarks - but that doesn't help me.

Your response to Xandrex is spot on. (Xandrex - thanks for the idea.) I already get the UK National holidays in my Outlook calendar, but unless I can import an ICS file into the native Playbook calendar, having an ICS file with the UK holidays in it will not solve the problem.

However, guys, my main problem remains my continuing inability to get the Playbook calendar to accept and display anything I try to add to it. I really appreciate your input and your time and experience, but I do not think we are any nearer a solution than yesterday. Any other thoughts?

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,871
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

The only way to do this is to export your outlook calendar with holidays to a CSV or other file type & then import that file to a PlayBook syncable email account such as yahoo or gmail and allow the calendar to sync.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,871
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Andnd just to add, I've passed along feedback to the Playbook 2.0 program manager that we badly needed the same wired sync to outlook as is available for the handheld. I do hope it's added

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
JayR2

JSanders

Thanks for these contributions. I had gathered from other posts and searches that the only solution currently available was (as you and jarviser suggest)  to use a web based intermediary - but what a palaver!
I  also hope the Playbook 2.0 program manager can find a way to do this. The overall native e-mail in the playbook is far superior to that on the i-pad, it's a shame about this minor(?) problem with the Calendar.

Please use plain text.