Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
tslemko
My Device: Playbook - 16GB
My Carrier: None

Calibre now has a driver for Blackberry Playbook

As of today, Calibre now has a driver for the PB. It seems to take a little fiddling to get it to recognize the PB, but it will eventually. This is the best way to load ebooks to the PB. There are plug-ins available for free that strip DRM from ebooks as well, and that will make all books readable on the PB using one of the ereaders available from App World.

When you have the DRM plug-in installed, you simply add an ebook to Calibre and the drm is automatically stripped.

Calibre will check the format and only send compatible books to the PB.  Have fun!

Tom
Please use plain text.
Contributor
tslemko

Re: Calibre now has a driver for Blackberry Playbook

Calibre did not at pb as a native app yet, but did add a driver to transfer files to the pb. To activate the driver the user must click Connect.share link, then click Connect to a folder and browse your pc to find the pb folder, probably drive Y to Z. Click select folder and Calibre will now recognize your PB.
It is a great way to transfer ebooks to your Playbook.
Tom
Please use plain text.
Contributor
johnbear
My Device: PlayBook, 32 GB, OS 2.01.358
My Carrier: Rogers

Excellent! I saw the reference to the plugin in calibre's latest upgrade, but hadn't got it to work yet. It's fine now -- many thanks to your pioneering!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Bdog36
My Device: Playbook

Helpful posts on the subject.  I cannot get Calibre to 'see' my playbook.  I've verified that the PB is connected, but Calibre doesn't see it.  Any suggestions?  Thanks

Please use plain text.
Contributor
tslemko

Calibre doesn't have a native driver, so it does not recognize the PB instantly. Connect the PB using USB, start Calibre, go to connect/share button. Click connect to a folder, look for the PB in the folders list, then select a folder on the PB, generally "books". Click connect and Calibre should connect and set up the "send to device" button, which means it is ready to transfer files. Good luck.
Tom
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Bdog36

Got it.  I was pointing to the drive, not to the book folder itself.  All good once I changed the pointer.  Thanks for the great response.  Bruce.

Please use plain text.
dave_C
My Device: blackberry playbook
My Carrier: o2

Thanks.This worked and sent books to device in mobi and pdf format.

I can see in my z drive (playbook).

However I cannot see any icon on the PB that will open up the books.

Advice gratefully received!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Bdog36

I spent some time wrestling with the same problem - trying to get Kobo to see and read the books - but no luck.  I eventually just bought a 3rd party app (Book Reader @ $0.99) and it works fine.  Just use Calibre to send the book(s) to the PB, and then add them to the library in the app.  This also works with epubs from our Public Library.  Hope this is helpful.  Bruce.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
juditha
My Device: Blackberry playbook
My Carrier: bell

Thank you! This has been driving me nuts for a couple of weeks. I bought a playbook as a gift for my husband, and he will use it mostly for reading books. He has a large library of purchased books, all apparently drm protected. I was able to use calibre to remove the drm, but then couldn't get calibre to recognize the playbook as a device. A very generous person, who developed the ereader app, suggested I try here. I was beginning to think he'd have to buy books from kobo or borrow from library, and would not be able to read the many books he's already purchased from other stores. But this afternoon I was able so successfully copy all of his books. Thank you all so much. You've saved my sanity.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mindyvella
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

I'm having the same problem, Calibre says the books are my PB but when I going looking for them I can't find them. Any help would be greatfully received as well.
Please use plain text.