Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
callum87
My Carrier: Orange

Camera Fault

Hi I have a playbook 32gb. I have had it since the end of april and have not had a single problem with it. But five days ago after using it to take some photos I put it down and the next day when I went to use it the camera no longer works it just shows up with white and grey lines. So I reset the playbook thinking that would fix it, this did not fix it. So I kept trying to use camera and was still getting these lines. So I came online to check the forums to discover that this is a big problem with the playbook and happens to a lot of people. On some it recommended doing a security wipe so have done that being on .688 I made a backup then done wipe now I have lost all my data also because .688 as been removed so I can no longer get all my data that I had, which as really angered me. And after that the cameras still don’t work. The playbook as never been dropped never been near water or anything. It stays on my desk constantly. Is there anything that can be done to fix this common problem on my playbook and is there away I can recover my data that as been lost because RIM pulled .688 without warning people you wont get your data back.

Thanks Callum

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,751
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Camera Fault

1. Simply having .688 didn't lose your data. You should have a back up on your PC if you have ever backed up your PlayBook, using the BlackBerry Desktop Software. Have you ever?

2. Re: your camera. You will need to do one or both of these items:

-- Call your Playbook Support.  www.blackberry.com/playbook

-- Perform a "debrick" procedure on the PlayBook as described below.

You need to follow these instructions to "debrick" your PlayBook:
1. Do a backup of your PlayBook using your computer and BlackBerry Desktop Software version 7 installed. It can be downloaded from http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/
2. After the backup is finished, unplug the PlayBook and on the PlayBook press and hold down the power button until the unit forces the device off.
3. With the Desktop Software still open on your computer and the PlayBook powered off, connect the PlayBook to your computer once again.
4. You should see an error screen from Desktop Software popup with the options to Retry, Update, or Cancel.
Very quickly choose the Update option.
5. All information will on your PlayBook will be erased and a reload of the Software will commence to install on the PlayBook.
6. Once this is complete your PlayBook will go back through the initial (as if new) setup wizard (entering the BlackBerryID, etc., and then you can perform a restore using Desktop Software to return your personal data from the backup. Applications which you downloaded from AppWorld won't restore, but they can be easily reinstalled using AppWorld > MyWorld section of AppWorld.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
callum87

yes i have backed up and have the backup on my pc. but when it comes to restoring it, it doesnt work because says you have the wrong os installed on playbook.

I dont have access to a phone at the moment to ring playbook support. And the debrick method i have tryed 3 times now and that doesnt work. that was first thing i noticed people said to try on the forums, but never seems to work.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

[ Edited ]

Please explain on the debrick, what "does not work". I wish that phrase were not in the English language as it is useless in telling me what might have gone wrong, what was not done or what error you experienced. Details, please?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
callum87

The debrick method did not fix the cameras, therefore it did not work.  Is that better for you? 

Please use plain text.
JSanders

callum87 wrote:

The debrick method did not fix the cameras, therefore it did not work.  Is that better for you? 

Nope. Didn't help at all. I think you know it didn't help. 

Please do understand, this is a user-to-user community support forum. We are not RIM employees, but volunteers who enjoy assisting other users. We can't help if you refuse to explain in detail what you're experiencing, and quite frankly, there are lots of other users here who are willing to be a bit more forthcoming with details.

Otherwise, the best I can advise is that you need to call your Playbook technical number.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
callum87

I'm sorry if its coming off as i dont want help or to give information, but i really dont know what information you want. I done the debrick succesfully, but after the debrick i still have the problem with the cameras, the same problem before the debrick. Im guessing that maybe there is a fault with the hardware?

Please use plain text.
JSanders

callum87 wrote:

I'm I done the debrick succesfully,

Great, that is what I needed to know, that you were even able to complete it.  Thanks!
There's really only contacting your PlayBook support left... they can help you.
http://us.blackberry.com/support/tablets/playbook/contact-support.html
And, for what it is worth, I have one Playbook who's camera has quit working as well. I will be contacting support as well.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.