Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

bluejay
My Device: Blackberry PlayBook Wi-Fi
My Carrier: Vodacom

Can I open my New BB tablet Wi-fi without finding wi-fi?

Can I get into my new BB tablet wi-fi without doing the wi-fi setup? I thought, like Kindle, the tablet would just give me 3G as well and we don't have wi-fi at home so I'm stuck. I am sure not going to take the sim card out of my BB phone, so I don't know how I'm going to get 3G either. When I'm travelling do I only have the option to use public wi-fi? Can't I just open the tablet and use its other functions? ie. calendar, writing notes, taking pics. Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Can I open my New BB tablet Wi-fi without finding wi-fi?

sounds like you bought a WiFi only Playbook and need a LTE one. There is no 3G model yet.

And yes you need wifi to set a wifi only one up

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
bluejay
My Device: Blackberry PlayBook Wi-Fi
My Carrier: Vodacom

I think I'm in over my head on this. What is LTE? I'm in S Africa and it annoys me hugely that we get the tail end of technological stuff. I can still return this. Should I? Is this pretty useless?  I've been considering switching to wi-fi in our house but the walls are so thick they aren't sure it'll work and my office is in the garden (that's where the modem is). At the moment it runs through the electrical circuitry. But this tablet was mostly for travelling anyway. Lighter than my netbook.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

LTE is faster than 3G and not available in all areas of the world. Contact your carrier to see if they do.

If you have no wifi then you cant set it up. No way around it

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TexTucker
My Device: pb
My Carrier: none

[ Edited ]

bluejay wrote:

I think I'm in over my head on this. What is LTE? I'm in S Africa and it annoys me hugely that we get the tail end of technological stuff. I can still return this. Should I? Is this pretty useless?  I've been considering switching to wi-fi in our house but the walls are so thick they aren't sure it'll work and my office is in the garden (that's where the modem is). At the moment it runs through the electrical circuitry. But this tablet was mostly for travelling anyway. Lighter than my netbook.

Don't worry, I live near London and we dont have LTE, in fact you will probably get it first.

You can buy "wireless access points" to plug into your ethernet system. You can even get ones that plug into the power outlets like yiur ethernet units.  I used old wireless routers plugged into ethernet which can be turned into WAPs with a little change of settings.  Google "WAP from old router". Pick them up on auction sites.