Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Can an external hdd be connected to the playbook?

I was wondering if i got a mini usb adapter, would the playbook support an external hdd or a thumb drive?

Developer
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK

Re: Can an external hdd be connected to the playbook?

Not at the moment, but on the BlackBerry Developer channels it has been suggested that this will be coming.

Seeing as this is a tablet running Unix, there is no reason for it no to be able to do this.

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: T-Mobile

would you know if it would be an easy over the air update when it becomes available? I was looking to buy the base 16gb model hoping i could connect an external hdd to play music and videos. now im a little hesitant in buying a playbook.

Developer
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK

I'm confident that you will get this update OTA when it appears.

Right now, you can easily copy files to the PlayBook over Wifi from any computer because it lets you access your files as a network share. An awesome feature that, as a Linux user, I love a great deal. Using a Mac or Windows is pretty simple to share files with, too.

Depending on what type of drive you have, RIM have also stated that there will be a media streamer so you'll be able to play music and videos from iTunes, Media Player, MediaFly, Twonky, MediaTomb etc etc etc over the air as well.

There are a lot of updates coming down the pipe. It is going to take some time as RIM get these things sorted. But I'm sure in 6 months' time people who took the plunge will be happy to see how the PlayBook has continuously improved over that time.

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
My Device: playbook 64gb
My Carrier: don't have one

This might come as a big surprise but most people do not buy tools in the vain hope that someday it will do something useful..... except perhaps Apple and RIM. I don't consider Apple a company anymore, they are more like a cult....

I have a 64Gb playbook

Four laptops

An andoid based tablet

two desktop computer.

As both a jounalist and as a keen photographer, I'd like to walk around with a camera and a tablet so I post pictures on the net, or FTP them to my photoagency. Every computer I own, except the playbook can do this. If I bought a samsung s2 or Note, I can plug in a 3rd party $8 adapter and then plug in my camera or my memory card reader.

Ideally what I'd like is an app called Pocket Phojo which apparently only runs on Windows mobile 6.0/6.5 and get it running on the Playbook and/or Android.

Anyone clever out there listening.

By the way, why is the eBay app for blackberry the worse for all the smartphones?

Stephen

Highlighted
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I saw USB support from a few people. It is not finalized and may not be in OS 2.

best solution is a WiFi USB reader that are available.

I know a few that have used a portable rechargeable WiFi hard drive.

Dont give up just yet

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V