Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
gummyavenger
My Device: Developer

Can only connect to wifi if PB is within 1 foot of router

My PlayBook can only connect to wifi if it's within 1 foot of the router.  I've tried restarting the router and the PlayBook multiple times.  I've tried every authentication scheme available on the router and I've tried adjusting every "advanced" setting in the router.  I pulled out another router and reset it to default settings.  Still can't connect unless it's literally within 1 foot of the router.

I got it to work briefly yesterday when I changed wireless mode to G only, but then it would disconnect every 30 seconds or so.  Now it won't connect no matter what unless it's right next to the router.

Should I try to get RIM to replace it?  Is anyone else seeing this?  If a quick Google search is any indication, there seem to be a lot of wifi problems with the PlayBook.

New Contributor
gummyavenger
My Device: Developer

Re: Can only connect to wifi if PB is within 1 foot of router

Ok, so I pulled out my Belkin router and I have no problem connecting to wifi with it. So that gives me hope that it's not a hardware issue. Still frustrating that they cant seem to get their software to work right. No wifi on two different Linksys/Cisco routers (one old and one new), but it works fine on a crappy Belkin. Go figure.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Can only connect to wifi if PB is within 1 foot of router

I had some issues on a high end router. between QOS and firware updates, its no longer just a simple wifi connection.

Look at my thread solving my WiFi issue, it may help you

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Bold-9700-smartphone/Netgear-WVPN824-WiFi-issue-co...

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V