Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Regular Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: VodaFone

Re: Can't access SMS on Playbook 2.1

It is working fine for me too...In fact, I liked to see SMS sent/recd listed contactwise......

Overall...Happy with this...

My Device: 9800
My Carrier: Bell

Having the same issue

My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

I have updated bridge, and rebooted playbook and torch several times, but once I connect bridge and access sms, it first loads fine then my contact list goes up to 2700 from 1500 or so contacts that I have and the current text messages that are open/saves come up with the contact name "F. MOTA ()". For all of them and the text messages are all mixed up, what I responded to one person few days ago is mixed in with other people that I talked to today, it's really messed up, anyone else getting anything like this?

My next step I will try removing bridge from bb torch and re install see if that will fix it.

Regular Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: VodaFone

It's working fine with me....I believe there different types of Bridge uploads available...You may like to go through them and find out which is the right one for you....

Contributor
My Device: 16GB Playbook; Z10
My Carrier: Verizon

Similar weirdness with my new text messaging feature - all threads from my Torch are combined into one thread on the Playbook and listed as from one non-related contact. (who does not even have a phone number in my address book)

Then that combined thread of texts shows up five times. Deleting all threads from the PB only results in the same thing happening again next time I open txt feature on the PB. Have updated bridge on Torch, rebooted both devices several times. Torch shows 360 contacts, Txt app on PB shows 324. Just deleted all threads on the Torch, and changed txt settings on phone from "automatic" to "SMS" to see if that has any effect when the next SMS arrives....

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900, Playbook 64
My Carrier: Vodafone

Finally got to the bottom (I hope!) of the SMS name mismatch after upgrading to 2.1.

• Upgraded my wife’s PB and bridged to it (Bold 9900) – same problem on both PB.
  • Updated Bridge app on my wife’s Curve – worked perfectly on both PB.
  • I had 315 contacts on my Bold, she has 10 on the Curve – deleted 304 contacts in blocks of 10 on Bold until 11 left and a terminal case of BB thumb, problem still there
  • Deleted 1 more (10 left) and the problem went away, woo hoo I thought (drink Bushmills) – not quite.
  • Deleted remaining contacts, re-started the Bold and re- synched – problem reappeared.
  • Checked the contact info on the BB for the first misname – found that an e-mail address was in the Home 2 field. Corrected data and re-opened SMS app - still mismatched name, but this time a different one.
  • Kept repeating this with each mismatched name until after 14 changed contacts, the SMS app worked perfectly.

It seems that if when the app searches for the contact record that matches the phone number it stops when it finds a non-valid phone number format and dumps the corresponding name into the display. The non-valid data was in my case was caused in two ways:

1. A lot of my contacts in MS outlook are from a corporate address book. The corporate system has inter-site short dial code comprising 3 letters and 4 numbers. This format invariably caused the problem experienced.
  2. The second seems to be a problem with BB Desktop sync. In a number of contact records on the Bold the Home 2 telephone field was cross linked with the E-mail 2 field in outlook (I confirmed the record was correct in Outlook). I also checked the field mapping in BB Desktop which looked to be correct.

Well this worked for me - I now plan to finish the Bushmills and get a life!!

Cheers

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2252; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

WOW!! This is excellent work! I liked your post (my likes carry the weight of 10 likes) so, kudos to you for this!!!

John
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor
My Device: 16GB Playbook; Z10
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

I agree, WOW. I believe you deserve many bushmills! Thanks, that gives me a place to start poking around to try to fix my similar issues. 

Quick Note:

I had a look at the mismatched contacts (all texts showed up on PB as coming from1 of 2 contacts), in both cases, the contact on my torch had an invalid character in the mobile number field. In both cases, the field contained only one character.(a hyphen in one, and a period in the other) Don't know how they got there, but I removed them and now texts are correctly linked to the proper contacts. Again, excellent diagnostic work, thanks!

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900, Playbook 64
My Carrier: Vodafone

I've been a loyal (albeit occasionally disappointed) BB user for 12 years, and a PB first adopter, but I'm very new to the support forums (stiff upper lip and all that) and have a question. Does anyone at RIM follow the forums to feed fixes into product improvement? This release has all the hallmarks of a rushed release with sloppy or inadequate testing - certainly the error handling seems to be suspect. RIM need to realise that with all the different methods of inputting contact data (card scanners, corporate directories, or basic finger trouble) data errors will creep in. Anything that uses that data needs to be robust enough to cope with this. It's hard enough to maintain a reputation in this space, and RIM need all the help they can get at the moment.
Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: 9800 and playbook
My Carrier: att

Thanks guys for all your great feedback! After removing and reinstalling OS 2.1 (2 hrs for that on high-speed WI-FI connection, countless calls to BB, etc), I reset the PB and the bridge on my 9810 but alas...the problem still existed! In the end, I just deleted the contact that kept interferring with my text messages and that fixed the problem. BB told me that a patch will most likely be issued since there have been many complaints regarding this problem form other people.