Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
canadajohn
My Carrier: MTS (Manitoba Telephone System)

Can't access my video once downloaded

Hello.

I'd like to change the desktop download destination for my Playbook video. I'm having problems now which I suspect are the result of some mistakes I made when initially setting up the desktop software.

As it is, when I download to my IMac the video for some reason goes to my "Pictures" folder. More specifically it goes into a file marked "New York" (where I have pictures from a past visit). In that folder it appears in a file called "Photo Library".

Trouble is if I click on this IPhoto opens up and starts importing the video. In my case that's not where I want it to go; I have Final Cut Pro and want to send it there.

My problem seems to have been even further compounded. When IPhoto began to import I clicked "cancel". Since then if I go through the process described above and arrive again at "Photo Library", then click, I get nothing.

So my specific question is: Is there a way in the Blackberry Desktop software to re-designate where downloaded video goes? I'd like to create a folder named, for example "Playbook Video" in my main directory so that the the raw MP4 files can go there to be exported to Final Cut. I've looked but can see no place to change settings.

Thanks.

John

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser

Re: Can't access my video once downloaded

I think you must be using "sync"?  Don't. 

Instead, forget desktop software and usb. Connect by wifi, open a Finder window for Playbook's videos folder, another Finder window for macs chosen folder, then drag video from playbook to mac

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB26068

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not using "sync". I've noticed that as an option on the Desktop Software home page and have never selected it.

You say: "Connect by wifi, open a Finder window for Playbook's videos folder, another Finder window for macs chosen folder, then drag video from playbook to mac."

Guess I've got a few questions. Sorry.

How would one connect bt WIFI? Right now I have a WIFI router, but my desktop connects to it by cable. So however am I essentially dragging between devises that aren't connected by something like the desktop software. Not saying it can't be done, just that I have absolutely no idea what would be involved.

Best I can imagine would be as if the Playbook was acting like another hard drive and that this hard drive was connected to my IMac somehow wirelessly. Even that seems a bit beyond me. Never heard of having an extra external hard drive connected to the main computer only by WIFI.

John

Please use plain text.
Contributor
canadajohn

Opps. Sorry. Didn't see the link you've supplied. I"m studying that now.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
canadajohn

Hi.

Well I've opened the link and read the Blackberry article on how to transfer files. I'd like, though, to ask a few questions of clarification before I try and proceed with its instructions.

Not entirely clear on point 5 and 5b.

5) I go to "Settings/About/Network" on my Playbook and see three items of information under WIFI. Long chains of numbers and letters follow a) 1Pv6,  b) 1Pv4,  c) MAC Address.

5b) On the MAC I go to "Go/Connect To Server" and see under "Server Address" "vnc://" followed by a series of numbers. What really confuses me is that 5b that says that I should now: "type smb://127.1.1.1 (where 127.1.1.1 should be replaces with the actual address of the Blackberry Playbook)"

Is this saying replace the "Server Address" I've found (vnc//......) with "smb://127.1.1.1"? Or with something else? And if something else, is the " IP address" asked for one of those three rows of numbers I see when I go on my Blackberry "Settings/About/Network"? That is, one of those that follow a) "1a) 1Pv6,  b) 1Pv4,  c) MAC Address.

Sorry for being so confused.

John

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser

[ Edited ]

ipv4 which will look like 192.168.xxx.xxx

You would be better to use the Tablet Network Name which is found in Storage and Sharing, Properties

Connect to server looks like smb://PLAYBOOK-24B6/Media  (insert your TNN)

I see you started a new thread. I will accept your thanks you expressed there for this thread. 

The advantage of wifi is that I can move files between Mac and Playbook whilst my wife is shopping online with the Playbook.  It does not matter if the mac is connected by ethernet cable as it's the router that the playbook connects to, not the mac per se.