Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
cowtowndogma
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: WIND
Accepted Solution

Can't connect to Wi-Fi (out of the box)

Just got my Playbook today.  I've used one other and was overjoyed by how easy it was to set up.  Then I get my own, and I'm at a loss. 

I did get the original set up screen, but I had to put it down and with children around, when I got back to my playbook it was turned off.  When I power up, now, I don't see that original wi-fi set up screen.  I do see a normal "connect to wi-fi" screen that only gives me 2 options - Manually Connect to Network, and Wi-Fi Protected Setup.  I have tried both.  I have my router info (Linksys), I've tried resetting the router, no luck.  I'm at a loss.  When I click "connect" it just sits there. 

I don't have a status menu to click on and get more information.  It's a brand new machine with nothing on it, yet. 

Please help.  I've been pouring over the user manual for 3 hours, and Google for another couple, searching for answers.  Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Can't connect to Wi-Fi (out of the box)

Hi and welcome to the forums!

KB26096 Troubleshooting Wi-Fi and networking on the BlackBerry PlayBook

As the unit is new you can open a Blackberry Technical Support case incidence with in a complimentary 90 day window.

Blackberry Playbook support

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
dc-it
My Device: PlayBook 16GB + Samsung Galaxy Note
My Carrier: Telus

When you reset your Linksys router you should try and change the SSID (Wireless Network name) and set the encryption to WPA/WPA2 with a password.

Then boot up your PB and on the Home screen click the top right most icon that looks like a wheel and click on the Wi-Fi icon on the Left menu.

Make sure that Wi-Fi Connectivity is ON and Select a network is set to Available Networks.

You should now see your SSID (WiFi Network).

Click connect and enter your password and it should work.

Sometimes you may have to reboot (Not reset) both your router and PB for the connection to work.

Good luck.

DC-IT
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
cowtowndogma

[ Edited ]

Hi there - thanks so  much for your reply (and to the person above you).  Unfortunately I don't even have a home screen, so I can't see if wi-fi connectivity is "on".  I power up the PB, and it automatically tries to connect to wi-fi.  It says "can't connect.  Try again" --> click "Settings".  I click on Settings, and the only two options are "Manually Connect to Network" and "Wi-Fi Protected Setup".  I can't even see available networks.  I've tried Manual and WPS to no avail and have no settings icon with "help" as the instructions would indicate.  Myy router is set to WP2 with p/w.  Grr.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
dc-it
My Device: PlayBook 16GB + Samsung Galaxy Note
My Carrier: Telus

Have you tried a clean reboot of your PB by holding down the Power button + bothe the + & - buttons beside it?

Make sure yout Linksys router is not set to Wi-Fi Protected.

And perhaps unplug the power to the router before you reboot the PB so it cannot see the router.

Only if you can get to the home screen and access the Wi-Fi setup then turn on your router and see if that works.

DC-IT
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
cowtowndogma

Hi there - thanks, all.  I contacted IT support and they got it up and running for me.  After going through a few hoops I would have never known to go through, it's live. 

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Cool!:Clap:
I'm glad you have it fixed.
Thanks for resolving  the thread so others can find your answer faster.

Bifocals

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
Kumar_5621
My Device: Blackberry playbook
My Carrier: Mobile hotspot

Can't connect to Wi-Fi (out of the box) HELP!!!

Hello, I got my playbook just last night. Tried to set up and I cant connect to a wifi through tmobile 4g mobile hotspot ( doesn't even searching for a wifi) tried the manually network says unable to connect to a network and invalid password (which is correct info bec, I'm connected to my iphone) I called support and told me I have to  find a regular wifi,weren't at my friends house an doesn't even searching or scanning to a network ( tried my iPhone  it has several networks available and connected at my friends network with a password )i nothing at all then tried several times to manually network still the same results as my hotspot problem.. Please help!!! Thanks

Please use plain text.
Kumar_5621
My Device: Blackberry playbook
My Carrier: Mobile hotspot

Re: Can't connect to Wi-Fi (out of the box) HELP!!!

Maybe my new playbook is defective? Or there is another way to fix it. Thanks

Please use plain text.