Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
diannageorge
My Carrier: Telus
Accepted Solution

Can't connect to wifi on my PB

but I have no issues with any other devices in my home.  It seems to be pointing to an old wireless network and I can't get it to recognize the new one.  I thought by restoring to factory defaults it would clear the old network but it is still there and I can't find the new one.

Help!!

I miss my PB and want to be able to use it again.

Please use plain text.
Elite III
John_Clark
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Can't connect to wifi on my PB

Go into Settings. >Wifi. You should see the list of available wifi networks and you choose the network to connect to.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
diannageorge

the new wifi network isn't listed for me to choose - that is the issue.

I can connect to the wifi on my laptop and other devices, just not the playbook.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TexTucker
My Carrier: none

[ Edited ]

" It seems to be pointing to an old wireless network and I can't get it to recognize the new one. "

playbook cannot show the old network in available networks.  impossible. 

if it shows as a saved network, delete it from saved networks (pencil icon).

come back if the problem persists.

My Carrier: O2

Agreed, should not show old network unless saved... just like windows etc.

Ive a friend that has Virgin and the next door neighbour has BT, naturally BT having that BT FON connections etc..

My friend accidentally connected to the BT FON (open network) one and despite moving it further down the list of saved networks it kept trying to connect to the BT FON instead of Virgin, deleted and she was good. :smileyhappy:

Is your PlayBook seeing any wireless networks?

If your computer sees the wireless network and the wireless light is on then all should be good.
Tis Jaysus!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
diannageorge

I can see 2 networks now, mine and my neighbours but I can't connect.

It keeps failing and I know i am entering the correct password as i use it on other devices.

It's not the PB because I took it to work today and connected to the wifi there.

I don't know what to do - i'm starting to think it's the router.

Please use plain text.
Elite III
John_Clark
My Carrier: AT&T

Router is always a distinct possibility. However, try rebooting the Playbook and see if that helps.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
diannageorge

I've tried rebooting the PB and I even reset back to factory settings.  That was a complete waste of time.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
wonder1-47100
My Carrier: not cellular, just wi-fi - all I ever need!

[ Edited ]

Hi DIANNAGEORGE [edited --- reposted; content deleted]

Please use plain text.
Contributor
wonder1-47100
My Carrier: not cellular, just wi-fi - all I ever need!

[ Edited ]

Sorry, I will repost this as I found 2 typos in it after posting

(Thanks for the subsequent tip about using options to edit. Subsequent edits are in red ink).

Hi DIANNAGEORGE,

I suspect that the problem is that your router has somehow been reset to DISABLE BROADCAST of your network name. If so, your PlayBook, EVEN IF YOU CAN SEE YOUR NETWORK NAME ON THE PLAYBOOK UNDER SAVED NETWORKS, cannot connect to it if it is set to find a broadcasted SSID. How do I know this? Well, to test out this theory, having read your problem described by you above, I DISABLED my SSID and tried to connect both automatically and manually. The PlayBook just wouldn't do it! What a surprise! 

I have done some more investigation and now find why. The PlayBook CAN CONNECT TO A HIDDEN NETWORK (SSID name) but to do this, YOU MUST CHECK OFF THE BOX in the "WiFi" screen in the PlayBook marked "HIDDEN SSID" --- if your router is set to "SSID - DISABLE". 

So check your router as follows for the following 6 settings - see what your router says they are first, as follows (I will assume that you have a CISCO --- LInksYs --- router):

Step 1: Enter your router through your browser

Step 2: Go to the tab titled "WIRELESS"

Step 3: Now go to the tab you see titled "BASIC WIRELESS SETTINGS"

Step 4: Check the following 6 settings and make adjustments as you see fit (I will give suggestions after each one below)

setting: NETWORK MODE.

Here, if the network mode is set to B, G or N, change it to MIXED. This is always a wise thing to do if you have a lot of devices/ computers/ tablets where you are not sure of their security handling protocols (especially if some of your computers are very old --- or if you add a device like this tablet). Changing the setting to MIXED won't hurt your network or impact other computers --- all it will do is slow down the network to the speed of the slowest device you have (and who knows, maybe this PLAYBOOK can't handle your N router speed).

neXt setting you see is: NETWORK NAME --- just make sure it is the name you assigned  (patience, the final step below is the key)

next setting is: CHANNEL WIDTH ---- use "AUTO" if you are not sure what to use here

next setting is: WIDE CHANNEL --- this will be blanked out grey if you used AUTO in CHANNEL WIDTH

next setting is: STANDARD CHANNEL --- this will be blanked out grey if you used AUTO in CHANNEL WIDTH

next setting is: SSID BROADCAST

Is the little button set to "DISABLED"? 

If so, here is your problem in a nutshell --- Change it to "ENABLE"

Now your PlayBook will instantly find your network, as it can "see" it (if the PB has NOT been set to "hidden SSID").

Hey, hope this helps a little anyway.... good luck. I know how frustrating a new device can be, believe me!

Please use plain text.