Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: na

Canadian order of Playbook from RIM 3rd party Globalware Solutions - any problems receiving it?

I was surprised to find I had not ordered from RIM when I took a 'buy today' link from RIM.com

The seller is in USA and is not RIM. They charge GST yet ship from outside Canada, is this 'legal'??

Any idea what carrier they use? UPS is very pricey for brokerage.

Returns are to USA at my expense, also a surprise. I jsut assumed it could go back to Guelph.

The confirmation email makes no mention of the shipper name or location, carrier or expected date, only RIM is named, and that for a copyright notice. Very odd.

When I phoned them they will not tell you who thet work for, only that they "work for Blackberry" and I guess they really mean "for shopblackberry.com"

RIM has gone to great lengths to hide the fact this is a third party logistics company in another country and that makes me wonder why???

All comments appreciated.

Bob 

Contributor
My Device: Playbook 64Gb

Re: Canadian order of Playbook from RIM 3rd party Globalware Solutions - any problems receiving it?

In today's world most  large companies contract out sales and distribution to save costs. Don't worry about it. It will come to your door with no custom fees. And yes it is legal to collect GST, in fact it would be illegal if they didn't . You are dealing with RIM but through their agent.

John

New Contributor
My Device: na

Re: Canadian order of Playbook from RIM 3rd party Globalware Solutions - any problems receiving it?

Thanks!

I agree, but they seem to want to hide teh relationship rather than explaining it. A friend called RIM and was told returns could be done to a Canadian depot, this is not what the GSW people say in an email to me, that I must return to USA even though I told them very clearly I was from Canada.

They have a disconnect on the truth.

OK, paranoia on hold.

Bob 

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10 White, PlayBook 16g & 64g

I just did a domain name search for shopblackberry dot com and found that RIM is indeed the domain name registrar for this site.  That is to say that RIM owns this domain name which is also to say that they must definately have thier hands involved in the legitimate running of this Globalware site as they are liable for it.  Having said that the steep discount offered by RIM has caused more response than anticipated.  If you go to Globalware's site you will see the other companies that use their service and it looks like RIM is in good company there.  Still all in all I think the discount has caused a logistics nightmare that neither company (RIM, Globalware) were prepared for.  My 16G PB has been on order since mid November near the beginning of the announcment of the discount.  I went to ShopBlackBerry right after finding all of the other online stores reporting that they were out of stock so let's wish each other luck in obtainging our purchases.