Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: 3

Cannot back up my playbook

Hello everyone, I hope you can help me. I have a Blackberry Playbook 16gb. Everything works fine insofar as I can install apps, update the device with the latest firmware, run apps, check emails, etc. However, I cannot get it to back up no matter what I do with it. I have tried backing up using my Windows 7 netbook 16 bit, my partner's laptop Windows 7 32 bit; but it will not back up to either computer. I get an error saying "Loading of backup content failed". If I proceed with the backup, I get "There was an error backing up. There could have been a problem with the device or connection during the backup. Verify that the device is turned on and connected."

I have tried every combination I can think of, including uninstalling and reinstalling all the Blackberry/RIM software, uninstalling and reinstalling the Blackberry/RIM drivers, using my partner's USB cable, connecting to my partner's computer, using each USB cable, etc. My partner's tablet will run fully on both computers, but my tablet will not run on either computer. I even returned my tablet for an exchange, but the new device is behaving in exactly the same way. The first device was purchased on Tuesday (31st July 2012) and the replacement was done today, so the devices are both very new.

I have rung RIM, and they have talked me through various things, as well as taking logs of my attempts to connect the Playbook to the Blackberry Desktop Software. I am awaiting a response from RIM with regard to these logs. Unless the logs show some new information, RIM themselves are stuck for ideas as to how to sort out this problem.

Having exhausted all the possibilities I can think of, I am open to suggestions.

Visitor
My Device: Torch 9810/16GB PlayBook
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Cannot back up my playbook

Having the exact same problem. It started occurring after updating Desktop Manager from version 6.1.0.35 to 7.1.0.32. Any help would be appreciated.
Contributor
My Device: Playbook OS 2.0.0.7971
My Carrier: Shaw

I am actually afraid to connect to the Desktop program because the last time I did, it said it couldn't connect to my tablet (all the same warnings as mentioned in the original post) and then it went ahead on its own (yes, without any warning) and reinstalled everything back to the default programming and I lost everything!!  I have read about this problem on other posts and the "expert" took a bit of attitude and said those of us who don't have a back-up plan for our back-up are "pathetic".  If you're going to post and pretend your an expert, please offer us some courtesy.  We are not morons or pathetic.  Sometimes, just sometimes, we're doing things right but the tablet has its glitches. 

I would love to know how to back up my tablet without USB connection to the desktop software.  Last evening my tablet just quit...one minute playing fine, next minute black screen.  I was able to force a restart using the volume and power button simultaneously but when it reset I lost about 20 of my apps.  Couldn't find them anywhere despite them being present in App World.  I had to delete every one and reinstall -what a time waster!

So backing up would be great but like so many, I don't have any idea what to try next.

Hope someone out there can help.

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: 3

I sorted it last night.  I was talking to a representative from RIM, who suggested I change my BB ID.  The ID I was using originally was based on a ".co.uk" email address, which wouldn't connect to do a backup.  The new ID is a ".com" address, which is working fine.  I have backed up several times since then, and all is well.  I had to reinstall the desktop software, and the device manager, so that the computer and the device would read each other, but it is all going swimmingly now.

As a test, my partner changed his BB ID from a ".com" (which was working fine) to a ".co.uk".  As soon as he did so, his previously fine PlayBook stopped connecting to the desktop software, wouldn't back up, etc.  He then changed it back to the original ".com" address and it worked again.

It seems that the PlayBook doesn't work with "co.uk" email addresses, but it is fine with ".com" addresses.  For people outside of the UK, I don't know if your address suffix has the same problem, but this solved it for me.

My Device: playbook 2012
My Carrier: bell mobility

hello,you havre to disable the wifi and bluethooth before connecting the tablet to your pc.

Highlighted
My Device: playbook 2012
My Carrier: bell mobility

Disable your wifi and Bluetooth before you plug to your pc