Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: None
Accepted Solution

Cannot connect Playbook to computer. Tried all fixes.

Hey,

since a few weeks my PlayBook just cannot connect to my computer. The desktop software sees it but doesn't mount it, nor can it access files. 

I have seen fixes about TCPIP NetBios Helper service not running or anti-virus. Nothing helps. I can see the network connection in "Manage Adapters" but that doesn't seem to help.

Is there any fix planned? The Playbook is now useless.

I am on Win7x64.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Re: Cannot connect Playbook to computer. Tried all fixes.

Remove the RIM Device Manager from the computer the reboot. Then follow these directions.

Disconnect the PB from the computer.
Uninstall the Device Manager.
Reboot your computer (for good measure)
Connect the PB using the USB cable.
Now you should see a PlayBook CD-ROM.
In that CD-ROM you will find version 7 of the Device Manager, install it.
Once installed disconnect the PB from the computer.
Wait for about 15 seconds then plug it back in.
Windows should detect new device and start Device Manager. It may take up to two minutes for windows to detect and properly install.
Then device manager will map 'z' drive to the PB.

Minor update - I spent some time in Windows Device Manager, and as per KB29957
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: None

Re: Cannot connect Playbook to computer. Tried all fixes.

Hey,

thanks for your reply, but you can trust me that I tried everything I was able to find here to fix the issue. 

I have found the fix myself now. 

The service "Workstation" was disabled and once I started it, the PlayBook instantly connected and everything works fine. No driver issues, no "Client for Windows" missing issues, no TCP-IP Helper issues. It was something completely undocumented.

Find the Service under Services in Windows 7 (just type into the start button search)

Workstation - Creates and maintains client network connections to remote servers using the SMB protocol. If this service is stopped, these connections will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

BlackBerry should add this to the KnowledgeBase and document their dependencies properly.