Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
Simplehick
My Device: Playbook 32Gb
My Carrier: Koodo

Cannot find my or any network

So here's a brief overview.  Owned PB for 2 weeks now, no issues with anything until yesterday.  At coffee shop, connected to their network, left for a bit and when I returned I could not connect.  Re-entered password and still nothing, no issues with my cell connecting to network it so tried trouble shooting.  Turned off and on wifi, forgot and rescanned then could not locate any networks.  Pickup around 6-8 networks in the area normally but not one this time.  Would not even find my phone.  Came home, would not pick up home network, tried with WPS and still nothing. 

Searched thread, backed up, hard reboot done and now I'm stuck on the Connect to Wi-Fi after reboot of OS.  Won't find my network and I can't do anything with it.  Tried several times to reboot and same issue.  Network is fine, laptop and cell pick up automatically and even tried with my older router still nothing. 

Any assistance would be helpful.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
danthrax
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Cannot find my or any network

not seeing any networks at all?

on the connect to wifi screen..look in the lower left corner.  there should be a button there that looks like the wifi symbol with a question mark. tap that.

under device information, look at the physical address line.  is there something listed there or is it blank?  if it's blank, you're either going to exchange your playbook or call support for an RMA.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Simplehick

Completely blank under all Diagnostic headings other than Device information.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Simplehick

On the phone, wish me luck
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

[ Edited ]

Can you give us a screenshot so we can see your PlayBook desktop? I want to see what is enabled/disabled on your device. You get a screenshot by pressing both the volume up and volume down buttons on the PlayBook at the same time. You will hear a camera shutter sound and the image will go into your Camera folder inside the Pictures App. 

From there you can add it as an attachment to the next forum post you make or use the fourth icon above (green tree picture icon) in the Rich Text Editor you're using to type posts. You may find it's easier to use a PC to do this and if so  then you will need to transfer it to your computer to upload. A quick way to do this is to email it to yourself from your tablet and then check your email on your PC. 

Also, please review these points: http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartphone_users/deliverables/27018/Connect_to_Wi-Fi_1246746_11.jsp

Note: On the left hand side there are further topics. One to note is I can't connect to a Wi-Fi network: http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartphone_users/deliverables/27018/Cannot_connect_to_Wi-Fi_1394951_11...

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Simplehick

So after almost an hour with tech, still no idea.  Luckly she was a sweet little asian woman willing to try and help but still can't find a network or get past this screen.  I checked the router settings and to see if it was picking up the PB.  No go, not being identified.  Network shows laptop, cell, blue-ray and ps3 but not PB.  Also on all devices (other then PB) I pick up several of my neighbours wifi. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
danthrax
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Verizon

if it doesn't have a physical address, it's never going to detect or connect to any network.  your two options are to basically exchange it at the store or call back and hope you get someone that knows something about this known issue so they can get you an RMA.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

[ Edited ]

That's the setup screen prompting you to connect to Wi-Fi right? As I don't recognize the blue interface and it's been a while since I setup my PlayBook.

Also, you are most likely using OS 2.0.0.XXX (my first update was to 2.0.1.358)

Since you are just initilizing the device, OS 2.0 MAKES you connect to a Wi-Fi network and it totally screws things up. I had issues with this myself but I was able to connect to my network eventually - just not reliably.

I wonder if you can get OS 2.1 through the Desktop Manager software and then bypass this initial Wi-Fi setup. It was one of the features of the release of the 2.1 update that it no longer would make you connect to Wi-Fi. I don't know enough about how to go directly from OS 2 to OS 2.1 though (is there a standalone OS update through DeskTop Manager or should we treat it as a NUKE and force OS download through the Desktop Manager? Anyone have advice on that?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Simplehick

It is the setup screen and can't get past it because it won't find a network.  Trying another reboot.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Simplehick

[ Edited ]

For those wondering, just got off the phone with tech again, going to try to exchange tomorrow at The Source if not than send to BB for repairs.  Thanks to all for the info and help.

Please use plain text.