Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Regular Contributor
hvacdon
My Device: 1. Playbook 32G OS 2.1.0.1314 clean load for work 2. Playbook 32G OS 2.1.0.1314 with sideloaded apps and games 3. Z10

Cause for playbook Micro usb damage

To follow-up on the various threads discussing damaged usb ports on the playbook, here is my theory for why this seems more common on a playbook than other devices:

First refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus for diagrams to support my theory.

There are two versions of usb micro plugs ....micro-A and micro-B and for receptacles micro-AB and micro-B.

Micro-B has angled corners on one side, whereas micro-AB (or A plug) has rounded corners on all sides.

A micro-A plug will fit only into a micro-AB receptacle, but a micro-B cable will fit into either an micro-B or micro-AB receptacle. 

It is very difficult, if not impossible, to incorrectly insert a micro-B plug into a micro-B receptacle, because of the orientation of the angled corners, so the contact points are better protected.  The same does not hold true when inserting a B plug into an micro-AB receptacle....the only orientation point are the contacts.

The supplied data and charging plugs for a playbook are micro-B.  However the pb receptacle is micro-AB.  My BB Torch and Bold both have a micro-B receptacle....therefore almost impossible to mix up the plug orientation when inserting.

So on a pb, we are plugging in a "square peg in a round hole" kinda sorta!  The plug can be forced incorrectly into the receptacle with minimal effort, thereby damaging the contact pins.

I suppose RIM designed the pb this way (micro-AB) to allow maximum flexibility in the type of plugs that can be accepted....either A or B, but at the cost of possible damage to the contact pins.  I am not sure whether  this was a design "feature" or an oversight.  They were using industry standard parts, so were known issues for this decision.

Let me know your thoughts!

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TroyTempest
My Device: Playbook 32
My Carrier: 3

Re: Cause for playbook Micro usb damage

[ Edited ]

You missed out that the recommended orientation for the USB logo is UP, not down as Playbook is designed. Their egotistic preference for Blackberry logo up has caused many people problems. Couple that with the impossibility to see which is the right way up visually and it is a disaster waiting to happen. 

Choice of that socket for default charging must be their biggest mistake. They could have included the magnetic connected charger as the default supplied charger, especially when they were 500 bucks a go, back in the day. 

________
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
hvacdon
My Device: 1. Playbook 32G OS 2.1.0.1314 clean load for work 2. Playbook 32G OS 2.1.0.1314 with sideloaded apps and games 3. Z10

[ Edited ]

TroyTempest wrote:

You missed out that the recommended orientation for the USB logo is UP, not down as Playbook is designed. Their egotistic preference for Blackberry logo up has caused many people problems. Couple that with the impossibility to see which is the right way up visually and it is a disaster waiting to happen. 

Choice of that socket for default charging must be their biggest mistake. They could have included the magnetic connected charger as the default supplied charger, especially when they were 500 bucks a go, back in the day. 

Yes thanks, the logo up bit is important.  I do it now intuitively.  It is an industry standard socket, just not sure why anyone would ever use it as part of their design.:Cool2:

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
saugen48
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: none at present

Thats why someone mentioned a white dab of  correction fluid on the upside area of the micro usb plug to make certain its not inadvertently plugged in wrong

Gene
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
hvacdon

Thanks.  I get the point about inserting the plug in the correct orientation.  The point I am trying to make, is that if the original design had included the micro-B type receptacle, there wouldn't be an issue.  However I am also trying to give RIM designers the benefit of doubt that the installed micro-AB receptacle offers a bit more flexibility for choice of plugs.

Please use plain text.