Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
tbandrews123
My Carrier: at & t
Accepted Solution

Charging Playbook with Desktop Charger

Ever since the upgrade to 2.1, I haven't been able to charge my Playbook  using the desktop charger. I can use the cord that came with the Playbook; but that doesn't help at night when I usually have the device on the charger and use the Playbook as an alarm clock. When I put it on the dock , the charging symbol comes on; but it actually starts to drain the battery. Ideas???

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Adam8

Re: Charging Playbook with Desktop Charger

The Desktop Charger is it the "blackberry playbook rapid charger" if so have you reached out to another user/friend with a blackberry playbook rapid charger to see if it chages your device. Seeing as how the normal PlayBook Charger can charge the device I would want to rule out the blackberry playbook rapid charger or the port on the device it connects to as being the cause. Also if you have another PlayBook device see if it is charged by the blackberry playbook rapid charger.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
mrneon8

I have the same problem here with charging over USB since the update to 2.1.0.1032 and not happy as i went out and bought all new cables to find they do not make any difference at all either!

Everything else that use via my desktop charges as it should and gives data connection etc apart from the dreaded Playbook........RIM you need to beat your so called boffins into research mode and resolve this issue :Censored:

Ah the good old iPad
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tbandrews123

The charger worked fine before the upgrade.
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
mrneon8

Same as me its all worked perfectly fine before the update and now nothing, RIM's way of pushing us to stop using £3 USB Cables and pushing us to buy there own £30+ Rapid Chargers more like pushing us all away from using the Playbook altogether if you ask me since all the problems i have encountered since getting a Playbook and the update problems and no real access to things like USB OTG (on the go), really wished i had not gone out and bought it now unless RIM can come up with a magical fix! Mmmmmmm very doubtful since they cannot make a usable update for the Playbook so far! Fix one thing but break 5 things that worked? Bit backward to me but hey! they must know what they are doing :Wacko:

Ah the good old iPad
Please use plain text.
Contributor
prabodpai
My Carrier: airtel

Ya same problem with me i have got this problem after the update... is there any solution?
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tbandrews123

Sorry I didn't reply properly. My rapid charger has been working fine for over a year, until the update. Now it seems to drain the PB. Also my calender has never worked, except thru the bridge. Can you help?

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
mrneon8

The Rapid charger should have no effect to any OS update as its run direct from your home wall socket plug but however if its the other type of desktop charger that runs from USB as opposed to the small 3 pin dock port on the rapid charger then yes you will have this problem as a lot of us have since the update as RIM has changed the charge allowence through USB to lower the amount taken in to the Playbook disregarding any other threads on here saying otherwise, as we all know the USB Charging worked just fine before this 1032 update and now its a no go zone due to the OS change so if you are lucky enough to have a Rapid charger then you should be ok but if not then i would look at the charger rather than the playbook on this one? As to the Calender and Contacts that is reported on another thread here http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook/Update-2-1-0-1088-is-released/td-p/196374... following a prompt RIM update to 1088, sadly im not updating at the moment so cannot comment on the New OS Update.

Ah the good old iPad
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TroyTempest
My Carrier: 3

All they did is add a warning. 500mA PC USB never was enough to charge a running playbook, but enough to charge a playbook in standby with no wifi. Ignore the message. At least if you get a message it has detected a charge. It's if you get nothing you have a problem.

________
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jcmnc
My Carrier: Verizon

I have the same problem described above.  My desktop charger plugs into a 120V wall outlet.  I have attempted to charge: (1) PB on with wifi and Bluetooth on; (2) PB on with wifi only on; (3) PB on with wifi and Bluetooth off; (4) PB off.  In every case, the charge level as indicated on the PB display, has decreased-not increased. The only way I can charge the Playbook is with the travel charger that came with my Bold 9930.  The battery display on the PB shows the "lightning" when seated in the desktop charger and a "plug" when connected to the travel charger.  At some point, prior to a number of OS updates, the desktop charger did work.

Can anyone help with this?  Is the desktop charger I bought now a paperweight?

Please use plain text.