Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
tfield99
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Charging the Playbook

Thanks Peter.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mikeytunes
My Carrier: singtel

I had done a lot of reserach on this when I had the playbook issue and I have a slight update to the information. Most PC USB ports today can supply between 1.5A to 2A of current to devices. HOWEVER, as soon as you plug any device into the USB port, the PC recognizes it as as USB device and limits the current delivered to 0.5A. Now we can say that the rest of the information is correct. The Tablet requires about 1.4A and the 0.5A supplied is not enough. The phone can charge even with 0.5A thus allowing charging from USB ports

Now I had purchased a device on Amazon which allows me to charge the Playbook from a PC. It is called CSQUID (sorry I did not check if it is still available or pricing - just search for CSQUID and you can find it). The things I like are

- Playbook charges from any USB port

- phone charges from USB port as fast as it can from the wall

- charges plybook even when my acer Notebook is asleep so I can carry both PC and tablet in my briefcase and the thing charges!!

good luck

mc

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Carrier: none

mikeytunes wrote:

I had done a lot of reserach on this when I had the playbook issue and I have a slight update to the information. Most PC USB ports today can supply between 1.5A to 2A of current to devices. HOWEVER, as soon as you plug any device into the USB port, the PC recognizes it as as USB device and limits the current delivered to 0.5A. Now we can say that the rest of the information is correct. The Tablet requires about 1.4A and the 0.5A supplied is not enough.

In case you're uncertain about my knowledge on the matter, please see my forum signature. I've done a lot of research too. :-)

A couple of points:

1. The PC may limited the current delivered to 0.5A, but the PlayBook actually limits it to more like 0.385A, for reasons I don't know yet. This is based on actual measurement, not just published specifications.

2. "The tablet requires about 1.4A" can't really be said to be correct, as the tablet has no particular requirement for amps.  At a nominal 4V, 1.4A would mean 5.6W.  That's fine, and it will certainly charge with that, albeit more slowly than it does with the included charger (which manages about 8W) or the rapid charger which can do almost 10W (it can do much more actually, but the PlayBook limits itself to accepting that much).

The travel charger will supply about 5W, as I recall.  It works too.

The USB on the PC manages about 1.5W, as I said earlier, and the PlayBook will readily charge itself with that much as well, just more slowly.

So the tablet does require 1.4A, or 1A, or even 0.5A.  It merely requires more power than it's currently using, and depending on what you're doing that's either about 0.05W (in standby), or 1.3-3W with the screen on, or as much as 5-6W if you're running videos and/or playing certain games or other very heavy use.  Exceed whichever level your PlayBook is currently using, and it will charge.  Divide the charge required by the current net power going into the battery and you'll know how long it will take (approximately... it's non-linear so it takes longer in the last 20-30% as it levels off the charge).

"Now we can say that the rest of the information is correct." ;-)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mikeytunes
My Carrier: singtel

Thanks for the clarification Peter....My research is mostly emperical...so I plug in and check the time/measure some current....Not sure about the watts and charging etc...I am sure that your knowledge on this is far greater than mine

I just know that when I connect to the PC with the regular OEM cable, I cannot charge my playbook and my phones take longer to charge...With the CSQUID cable that I bought I charge my playbook and phones as fast as I can from the wall. For me this is all I want...:smileyhappy:

thanks...and please keep up the great info....learnt a lot in the past 1 year

Please use plain text.
Visitor
gacbritt
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Did you ever get this figured out? I am having the same problem right now. The first few weeks I had it, it was charging just fine. Now it is exactly as you described: the charger does not seem to be in there very securely and it will not charge at all. I don't know what to do.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
stephenkca
My Carrier: irrelevant

Same problem here. My two cents (soon to be rounded to the nearest nickel):

-Like others, my Playbook used to charge on the plug in charger shipped with it.

-At some point it quit. I'm beginning to suspect this was when I downloaded OS2. Other possibility was when I first used it in development mode.

-Now it will not charge on the BlackBerry branded plugin charger shipped with the unit. The USB end of the plug on this seems loose, so I barked up the "maybe the connection isn't good" tree. However, the charger will charge my phone just fine. Additionally, I tried using the USB cable plugged into a Sony camera wall plug (0.7amps). This doesn't work either. The Playbook doesn't indicate that it's receiving any electricity.

-This leaves me with one way to charge the Playbook: plug it into the USB port of a computer that is on. (If I plug it into one of my desktops that delivers juice to its USB ports while off, the Playbook screen will go brighter--suggesting something has changed--but will not show the plug that indicates it is charging. If the computer is on it *will* charge even though I haven't installed the PlayBook drivers on it.)

The above leads me to believe that the charging issue is a software one, not a hardware one. I understand from other forum posts that the Playbook software decides whether to charge or not (hence it must be on to charge). Apparently something in the software insists on some intelligence at the other end of the line before it will accept electricity from it. Additionally, apparently this part of the software was changed/added between when I bought my Playbook and now. Everything points to this happening with the OS2 upgrade. I was hoping it would be fixed with the last bug fix (to 2.0.1.358) but it wasn't.

I hope someone in RIM is paying attention to this. It has been a great annoyance when taking the PlayBook on the road.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
unicoerara
My Carrier: Vodafone

I have thesame problem, a little worse ,my playbook is just 2 weeks old and barely used, and I noticed that it does not pass more e than 78% at full charge, when there is no more lightning bolt and it's green and the cable sign,I contacted rim and was asked to empty it several times and recharge it several times.These is my 3rd ime and it's still thesame, it takes 3 hours to be empty with simple use,without video.and takes 2hours to get back to 78%when  fully charged, 78% being the highest level reached.I think their batteries have fault.and they should do a recall and compensate thier clients.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
wolfe2016
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Does anyone know if the PlayBook will still charge with a rapid charger? I plugged in my mini USB into my PB and I have also tried several chargers and cables but the PB still won't charge. I can just watch the battery drain and I am at about 16% right now. So can someone tell me if the rapid charger can solve this problem cause I don't want to have to refund my purchase. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
wolfe2016
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Also want to say that the PlayBook has no indication that it is receiving electricity.
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,747
My Carrier: Verizon

wolfe2016 wrote:

Does anyone know if the PlayBook will still charge with a rapid charger? I plugged in my mini USB into my PB and I have also tried several chargers and cables but the PB still won't charge. I can just watch the battery drain and I am at about 16% right now. So can someone tell me if the rapid charger can solve this problem cause I don't want to have to refund my purchase. 

Wolfe, it sounds like your USB cable or USB port on the Playbook might be bad.

When you DO connect the USB cable to a PC and run the BlackBerry Desktop Software, does the Desktop Software recognize your Playbook and show the PB PIN?

If not, I would highly suggest that you try the magnetic rapid charger which connects via a different port.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.