Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900 on TELUS
My Carrier: TELUS

Re: Charging the Playbook

In reality, how long does it take on average to charge a playbook from dead? Mines bee charging for 2 hrs and is only at 28%.

"The world is not given to us by our fathers, It is something borrowed from our children."
Solutions: 6,163
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Follow up: from about 65% last night, after charging it did hit 100%.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: 7290, 8700g, 8800, 9000, 9700, 9900, Playbook, z10, z30
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I got my 64BG Playbook on release day.  It has never charged past 96%, even with the latest software update.  I wonder if these are defective or is this a software issue?

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch, Playbook
My Carrier: Bell Canada

[ Edited ]

bmalmquist:

Which charging method are you using?

I might suggest discharging and charging it several times. This might stablize the battery as per my previous post.

--Bryan

Contributor

Frenziiman:

Based on a battery capacity 5400 maH, using the included charger which is rated at 1800 maH, it should take around 3 hours, depending on how discharged the battery is.

--Bryan

Contributor
My Device: 7290, 8700g, 8800, 9000, 9700, 9900, Playbook, z10, z30
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Using the included charger. 

I have brought it down to less then 10% several times and have had it plugged in each time over night, but it will never get past 96%.

I don't disagree with your method of conditioning the battery, but brand new out of the box I should see 100%, especially when I spend over $700 on something!

I live and breath Blackberry in general and love the Playbook's functionality, but if there is an issue with this hardware I want RIM to recall it and get me a new one!

Contributor

[ Edited ]

bmalmquist:

Go back a few pages and read my post on how lithium batteries are charged and some of the factors that charging to capacity.

When I was building lithium battery packs for high performance applications, I would often cycle a new battery pack a dozen times to stablilze it. Just because a battery is brand new does not mean it is ready for peak performance. Many laptop manufacturers recommend that you go through several full charge/discharge in order to condition a new battery.

And I am by no means trying to obscure a possible problem with the playbook battery. What I have been saying in my posts is that the battery and charger performance on my unit is aligned with what I know about lithium batteries and charging. There may very well be an issue with your unit's battery or charger. If there is, it is covered by warranty.

--Bryan

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000, Playbook 64GB
My Carrier: Fido

I'm in the same boat.

64GB Playbook and tried everything including discharging the battery and recharging it.

I can never get over 96% on my PB.

Is this a hardware issue or just an issue witht he PB's power management?

I want to know if I should return it.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I ran a quick charging test on my Playbook today. This was 5th or 6th time I have charged it. Charging was done with the charger included with the Playbook.

Time(h:mm)                    Charge Level
-----------------                     -----------------
0:00                                            8%
1:20                                            61%
2:12                                            91%
2:30                                            95%
2:40                                            98%
2:45                                            100%

--Bryan

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Telus

Hi bmalmquist - I experienced the same problem where my 64GB playbook didn't charge past 95% no matter what I did or what charger was used. I'm now on my 3rd machine & it charges all the way to 100%.

I ended up calling around to check who had stock availability before going to the store. Found a good one at Futureshop.