Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

ewnrshan590
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

Charging

I am having charging issues with my playbook. Everytime I plug it in using the wall charger or the USB it stops charging like half way. Then I get this message saying "Unable to charge battery with connected source". I have not dropped my playbook nor broken any of the cords. What can I do to fix it???????

Super Contributor
TroyTempest
My Device: Playbook 32

Re: Charging

Os 2.1 will give that new message with usb from pc because pc cannot put out enough power to charge correctly. You may get that message from any low power charger.

If you get it with the proper Playbook charger then the charger or playbook socket or cable is faulty.

________
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

ewnrshan590 wrote:

I am having charging issues with my playbook. Everytime I plug it in using the wall charger or the USB it stops charging like half way. Then I get this message saying "Unable to charge battery with connected source". I have not dropped my playbook nor broken any of the cords. What can I do to fix it???????

It is still charging but at trickle charge rates. The spec for USB does not supply enough power to the tablet at the same time it's being used (screen on, wi-fi on, etc). If you plug the standard USB cable into the tablet and a rear facing USB port on your computer, and keep the screen off as well as wi-fi it will eventually trickle charge. YES you will get a new pop-up notification saying "Unable to charge battery with connected source" and this is by design as of the 2.1 OS update. Ignore it.

Try it out yourself and verify things. I did, mine is still trickle charging which means it will take HOURS to fully charge and the connected computer has to be on the entire time...

My advice is to use the rapid charger that shipped with the tablet in the box. The cable is primarily for data transfer and in a pinch, it can be used to charge still.

Regular Contributor
Original_Lucy
My Device: BB ZED 10

If the playbook won't charge with the rapid charger that came with it, try opening and closing the blades a few/bunch of times. Some peoople have reported that sometimes the blades are not all the way open and don't register a charge.

Smile, it makes people wonder what you are up to. :smileyhappy: