Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Trusted Contributor
rossjackson01
My Device: Playbook 64gb (wifi)
My Carrier: orange UK
Accepted Solution

Chat room?

Is there such a thing as a 'chat room' for BB? Or a place where a member can contact other members and then use video chat? Only one person I know has a Playbook, we do chat. But is there anyone else out there that would like to chat?

Regards to all (except BB)
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

Re: Chat room?

[ Edited ]

rossjackson01 wrote:

Is there such a thing as a 'chat room' for BB? Or a place where a member can contact other members and then use video chat? Only one person I know has a Playbook, we do chat. But is there anyone else out there that would like to chat?

There is no native BBM, MSN, Yahoo, Google Talk etc available for the PlayBook until BB OS 10 is released. Especially one that does video chat. You will find that the apps out there only do text chat - not video.

But you can try this web service:

https://imo.im/

Or this free IM+ App World App: http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/125705/?model=PlayBook&lang=en

Or a $7.99 Pro version: http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/44726/?model=PlayBook&lang=en

Free:

IM+ supports all major IM services, including Facebook, MSN/Live Messenger, Google Talk, Yahoo!, AIM/iChat, 

Pro:  Stay in touch with your friends, family and colleagues wherever you are! Chat in Windows Live Messenger/MSN, Skype, Facebook, Google Talk, Yahoo!, AOL/AIM/iChat, ICQ, Jabber, VKontakte, Yandex, MailRu, Odnoklassniki, Renren, Mig33, SINA Weibo and MySpace in one application. IM+ supports multiple accounts per service, file transfer and stores chat history for each conversation on device. Both landscape and portrait screen orientations are supported. Get message notifications via the PlayBook notification area. Choose user interface in your language - English, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese and Russian.

Also, there is no official Skype client for the PlayBook so before anyone asks, there's the answer. Also, IM+ Skype ability only does text chat.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
rossjackson01

[ Edited ]

Hello again Chaosdivine

I think I have figured out what to do.

Click on the members name, then invite to them as a friend. If they answer, then we could chat?

Reelportal allows a cross o/s system. Haven't tried it yet as I have no one to talk to (Billy no-mates). And to spend a few pounds to contact no-one seems silly.

Regards

Ross

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,923
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

In this forum there are no private chatrooms. Only one to one private messaging.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
plandry
My Device: BB Playbook
My Carrier: pauljlandry@shaw.ca

Hello

Will Play Book add Skype. I need it. Thanks Paul

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
rossjackson01

[ Edited ]

Hello. Two of us in the family have Playbooks, the rest do not, but they have Windows and Apple computers, plus  Android, Windows and Apple tablets.

We have successfully set up video chat with faceflow. www.faceflow.com. As good as skype but with the added bonus of free video conferencing. Both parties use access through a browser. Allows someone on a Playbook to converse visually with someone on any other o/s.

Hope this helps

Regards

Ross

Please use plain text.
JSanders

plandry wrote:

Hello

Will Play Book add Skype. I need it. Thanks Paul

There is no specific news from RIM about that. Sorry.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
DunyaS
My Device: 8900
My Carrier: Rogers

When will BB OS 10 release for us to use video chat with anyone's different devices?

Please use plain text.
JSanders

DunyaS wrote:

When will BB OS 10 release for us to use video chat with anyone's different devices?

What other devices?

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
DunyaS
My Device: 8900
My Carrier: Rogers

For example: I have playbook (I bought it yesterday) and realized that there is no Skype nor Yahoo video chat. I am tryinng to find app or browser to use video chat to connect to others' laptops, arnoids (sp?), etc. Do you know which app or built-in browser video chat that work?
Please use plain text.