Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
aaronalkemade
My Device: Playbook

Connecting to eduroam wireless network

Hello,

I am trying to connect my blackberry playbook to a Wi-Fi network on my university. I tried using the settings of a blackberry bold, but i can't fill in all the settings because the Wi-Fi setup is different. Does anyone of you have experience with connecting to a eduraom network?

p.s. I found this website for eduroam settings with different devices. It is in dutch so i don't know if it is usefull.

http://eduroam.avans.nl/

Thanks in advance

New Contributor
MCoop
My Device: Bold 9900

Re: Connecting to eduroam wireless network

My PlayBook is broken (and RIM won't relace it!)  BUT when it was working, I was able to connect to eduroam easily.

I used it at my home university and used my standard credentials I would normally use with it, no problems at all.

Unfortunately my PlayBook is so broken it won't power on, and if I can get it to power on it doesn't function properly so I can't check to see what you might be able to troubleshoot.

All the best!

New Contributor
aaronalkemade

[ Edited ]

Im sorry for you. Thanks for the reply. Can't you remember anything? Maybe a website or something?

Contributor
Systems

I've only had my Playbook for a week and I connected to Eduroam immediately and without trouble (with OS1 and now OS2).

All you need to do is enter your full username (i.e. with the @university.edu appended) and password. The common mistake a lot of Eduroam users make is that they just enter their username or they prefix with their domain name.

So for example say your username is abcdef123 and you are at the University of Banana in the UK (banana.ac.uk).

Your full username would be abcdef123@banana.ac.uk (not "banana/abcdef123").

If you're really stuck the end user info is here but you should really contact your university IT department:

https://confluence.terena.org/display/H2eduroam/endusers

New Contributor
aaronalkemade

Thank, but this doesnt work for me. At my university we have to fill in a user certificate and thats where i get stuck.
Contributor
Systems

Import your certificate via your security settings if you really need to (I don't - the playbook automatically imports the certificate from Eduroam for me, unlike my Android phone where I had to manually add it).

Access your "certificates" share on your playbook and put your Eduroam certificate in there. Then on the playbook go to security -> import certificate.

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB26515

New Contributor
aaronalkemade

[ Edited ]

Thank you. I managed to put the certificates of my university (avalible at the website) onmy playbook and installed them. But still i can't connect. The problem is that i dont know what i have to sellect by options:

• Security type (I think WPA2 Enterprise)
  • Security subtype (Think PEAP or TTLS)
  • Inner Link Security
  • I know my username and password and i know that their correct, because my nokia and ipod touch do have internet
  • Witch CA Certivicate (I can try some of the imported)
  • Use HTTP Proxy?

If someone can help me with this, you would be my hero.

Thanks in advance!

Contributor
Systems

[ Edited ]

Personally I think you need to use:

WPA2 Enterprise (definitely, as Eduroam uses Radius authentication)

Subtype: EAP-TTLS

Inner Link: Use PAP if asked

CA Certificate: you need your site's Eduroam certificate, not your one.

Proxy: No (unless your site really does force one)

I didn't do any of the above. I just connected to eduroam and it did it all for me.

New Contributor
aaronalkemade

Really looked like it had to work this time, but still i can't get a connection. I'm going to wait for os 2 maybe that will solve the problem. Anyway, thanks for trying!

New Contributor
carmean
My Device: Playbook 32GB

I worked for hours on this-  was following directions to 'Connect Manually' and entered PEAP but did not see the place to enter 'MS-CHAPv2' (the Inner Security Link).   

If you access the Wi-Fi setup from the Home page Setup icon, IT WILL NOT HAVE THIS REQUIRED OPTION.  You need to access the wireless wi-fi setup from the home screen- tap on the wi-fi fan symbol (top right), tap again wi-fi fan in the pop-up box (maybe a downward swipe from the top right wifi symbol will get you there as well.

Again- DO NOT TRY TO ACCESS WIFI from the SETUP icon.  If after choosing 'WPA2 Enterprise' you don't see the Inner security link option, go back and access the setup so you do see it.

Very bad user interface design, I am not impressed.  Playbook 32GB.  It now connects to our secure network but drops the connection much more often than any of our Android or other (mainly Apple) wireless devices.  We are very unhappy.