If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
LarryBenLev
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8310
My Carrier: AT&T

Country Issue

I was trying to use my Playbook to watch the Daily Show, while traveling and getting the feed from my bluetooth-connect Blackberry phone. The website refused to display the video because they thought I was not in the United States. Is there a setting on the Blackberry/Playbook I should reset? As far as I can tell, both devices say they are in the U.S. ... thanks.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.2.1.3247; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

Re: Country Issue

Are you traveling outside the United States?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
LarryBenLev

No. I was communting on the train in New Jersey.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.2.1.3247; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

There is no control over that other than when you first go through the setup wizard on the Playbook. The only thing I can think of is that the IP address that the website would see might be a BlackBerry/RIM IP address that is based in Canada.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
LarryBenLev

Figured it is something like that.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
gumnutninja
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: n-a

That's really odd though - what app/website we're you watching it with/on?

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TexTucker
My Device: pb
My Carrier: none

So Playbook blocks access for Americans if they think you are travelling in Canada? Really??

No, the "Daily Show" website will not play the video if they think you are not in the U.S.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

No, he's connected to his BlackBerry for data service. BlackBerry data plans go through RIM's NOC in Canada. If you check the IP address when browsing a website with a BlackBerry it comes through as one of RIM's IP addresses, registered in Canada. If the website blocks Canadian IP's from viewing something it will likely block the BlackBerry. I assume you'd get the same error message with just the BlackBerry too (without the Playbook even in the loop).
Please use plain text.
Contributor
LarryBenLev

The other odd thing is that the video plays without a problem if I am connected to a WiFi site, either at home in NJ or in the office in NY. But when on the train, TDS says it believes I am in Canada.

Please use plain text.